A new shop being born!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

I thought I was too old to give birth - not to mention improperly equipped. ;D

Anywho, for those here who claim to like pictures. Prepare to groan, and hopefully in a year or so, to cheer.

This pic is from the doorway of my current workshop. Showing my crowded electronic bench and tool boxes
shoppics_9_7.jpg

another view
02b7061a28.jpg

and another view showing the lathes temporary home displacing my drafting table
9de281556e.jpg

Next is the garage and the pile of lumber that will be a new lathestand/workbench
185c0bd1f3.jpg

A view of the area that will be the future home of my lathe and a future Lathemaster mill/drill machine.
0ec5e23856.jpg

finally is the amateur CAD rendition(Windows Paint) of the skeleton of the lathe. $51 for the raw material at your local Worldwide Homedepot
lathestandplans1.gif

lathestandplans2.gif

Kermit

I left everyone speechless.

:eek: I'm in worse shape than I thought!

Here is my new table saw! I showed the old lady my pitiful circular saw and was hoping for a new one, but this was on sale for $89 and when I pointed it out she said lets get it. ;D

shopsaw2.jpg

This is the saw that I wanted replaced. Its about 35 years old.

shopsaw1.jpg

Good work, Kermit! Please continue keeping us updated :)

I'm currently going through the same process as yourself, having recently completed a 6m x 6m garage / workshop. Just an hour ago I completed the first coat of Polyurethane Paving paint on the concrete floor... I'm feeling a bit giddy now from all the fumes :D

I like your workbench design - sure looks good and solid! I've made mine out of 40 x 40mm RHS, welded together by my father. The top is a piece of 31mm Plywood... lets just say, it ain't going to move in a hurry ;)

Keep up the good work :bow:

Gordon

Kermit :bow: :bow:

Congratulations on the addition of equipment to the shop. The table certainly looks lite it will hold the weight with no problem. One way to improve it even more would be to add a couple of short triangular braces to the legs and it would withstand even any hurricanes or tropical storms if they ever came your way. Looks like your going to have a nicely equipped shop.

Cheers :)

Don

Looking good Kermit!

I love the electronic stuff as well.
It's been awhile since I've seen Analog Oscilloscope and Sine Wave Generator.
Scary thing is I still remember how to use them! :-\

Rick

;D I love workshop threads 8) .............. Kermit ........... keep it coming please :bow:

Bench looks good, as above ........ adding a couple of diagonal braces can only help to stiffen it up ;)

CC

Kermit,
I agree with CC, shop threads are great. It's really interesting to see how creative people can be with the space they have. Keep up the good work. We're watching ;)

Kevin

That is a really nice shop! Very cool - the table saw is an excellent addition! She must truly love you to feed your habit so! ;D

Nice one. Setting up a shop is one of the great pleasures in life.

Updating the thread. (12/26/08) Lots of pictures lost due to using wrong codes and wrong pic hosting site. That's been corrected and future pics should show for everyone. I will re-do the missing pictures as I am able to locate any of them and transfer them to my new host.

Thanks for stopping in to see my lovely mess,
Kermit

The lathe bench is coming along slowly but surely. changed it to 6 legs so I can put some drawers and shelves between.

shoppics_9.jpg

I'm never lost because someone always tells me where to go,
Kermit

bugzap.gif

That's a fine bench for your lathe.
icon_bow.gif

Hope you find the lost piccys soon
monalisa.gif

Best Regards
Bob

I really dig that frog gif you've got there Bob!

I used to have one of 3 smileys playing rock and roll. Computer crashed and lots of my low brow little things died along with it.

I value you'se guys friendship and encouraging words the most,
Kermit

Apent some time in the shop today getting more done on the lathe bench.

(I'm slow when it gets cold) ;D Today the weather was warmer and rather breezy.
So
Here's what I 've got

shoppics_9_1.jpg

I added some supports for a bottom shelf.

shoppics_9_2.jpg

One half of the shelf ready( complete with built in errors!) Wished I followed my own advice and measured EVERYTHING twice. Big canyon of a gap in the back corner.

shoppics_9_6.jpg

And one the old lady snapped (she still thinks I'm cute, but I just feel gray ;) )

shoppics_9_4.jpg

rake60 said:
Looking good Kermit!

And heavy enough to take a good amount of wear. About the only thing I might suggest is a piece of ply overall so things don't decide to hide in the crack between the two 2x12's on top. Okay, maybe I'm the only erson who has trouble digging things out that disappear in them. *sigh*

It's been awhile since I've seen Analog Oscilloscope and Sine Wave Generator.
Scary thing is I still remember how to use them! :-\

Huh? You mean there's something else?

BEst regards,

Kludge

There is still one lost pic of my indoor office that was at the very first place in this post. It showed my OLD Hewlett Packard Sinewave Generator and a 1966 model Dept of the Navy O-scope.

Sorry you can't see em Kludge.
I'll try to get that picture replaced today

shoppics_9_7.jpg

Everything is right with the world once again,
Kermit

I hate to keep posting in the same topic in the same day, so I'll just add these here for now.
Completed the under support structure for the entire bench. Ready for top fitting and dressing out. Next will be some drawers, or as they say up north - draahs! :D

shoppics_9_10.jpg

shoppics_9_8.jpg

shoppics_9_9.jpg

lathestandbottom.gif

The wife looked it over a few days ago and said where are the drawers gonna be?

shoppics_9_14.jpg

First there was some bracing I wanted to put along the base boards as shown above.

Then I placed the braces for drawer rails which aren't installed yet.

shoppics_9_16.jpg

A false bottom for the drawers

shoppics_9_17.jpg

It's going too SLOW... ;)
Kermit

That's a solid looking bench you got there,Kermit.It'll outlive us all :big:
Keep them pictures coming.You're doin' well!

;D I've got more "cents" than brains, so it will be a monument to OVER engineering.

Ten ton tool for an 1/8 ton job. That sounds about right for a Texan, ;)

Great looking bench, Kermit - that will certainly do the job!

Back