A new shop being born!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will be very glad every time you clean the chips and not have to clean around everything in the draw!

Looking good Kermit!

Dave

This is something I've not seen addressed elsewhere but where will the fire extinguishers be? They don't have to be fancy, just accessable and collectively good for classes A, B and C fires. Class D as well, dependent on what metals you're playing with.

Otherwise ... ummm ... that bench is flat out lovely. When your done, maybe I can talk you into kitting one for me? ;D

BEst regards,

Kludge ... the non-carpenter

Kludge said:
This is something I've not seen addressed elsewhere but where will the fire extinguishers be?

Mine is a dry powder near the exit. That way as I make for the door, both options, (fight or flight) are available.

Best Regards
Bob

Sorry I took so long to respond Kludge. We've got three standard (bought it at Walmart) type extinguishers. One in the kitchen and the other two ride in our vehicles with us. I'll pick up another and put it by the door of the shop. Thanks for that reminder.

I just ordered some EPO epoxy concrete patch, 10 lbs worth. I was going to use the pourable epoxy steel but that was about 4 times the price of the concrete epoxy. Just putting a 1/4 inch layer on the top of the bench, AROUND the lathes base plate. Kinda anchoring it in place and making the base plate bottom the low spot of the bench top. It says its oil and fuel spill non-reactive, so it should be good for years and years of cutting oil and swarf pollution :D. Also picked up the 5 pc set of turning tools from MSC. I went with 1/2 inch shank instead of the 3/8 inch. I figure since I'll be dealing with more steel than aluminum or brass the extra size of the tool shaft will increase rigidity slightly.

I'm getting close enough to see the finish line,
Kermit

Kermit said:
Sorry I took so long to respond Kludge. We've got three standard (bought it at Walmart) type extinguishers. One in the kitchen and the other two ride in our vehicles with us. I'll pick up another and put it by the door of the shop. Thanks for that reminder.

No worries. It looks like you have the same feeling toward them that I do - Fire extinguishers are our friends. Someday I'll have to describe all the stuff STARDANCER had aboard along those lines. :)

I'm getting close enough to see the finish line,

Uh-oh. Quick, someone! Move the finish line! ;D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Kludge, is that the Star Dancer down in Papua New Guinea?

putputman said:
Kludge, is that the Star Dancer down in Papua New Guinea?

I wouldn't think so. She was a 42' all steel houseboat I lived aboard in Pittsburgh, PA, for five blissful years ... after which I got married again in what was not one of my brighter moves. My safety equipment fell into the "overkill" category but that was, I think, a response to help I'd received when I owned smaller boats beforehand. I know that the Coasties commented on what I had aboard as being enough for any five boats which was actually a bit of an exaggeration. Four maybe. ;D

Also, her name was one word, not two. The only other vessel I know of with exactly the same name was a liner operating between Vancouver and .... hmmm ... Fairbanks, I think. We exchanged informal correspondence briefly which was fun while it lasted.

Anyway, I'm waiting for Kermit to let me know when he's sending a kitted up bench for here. ;D

BEst regards,

Kludge

My nephew is the temp. captain on the Star Dancer in Papa New Guinea. Just thought it might be the same boat you were talking about.

Got the trim up, one corner still not finished at time of pictures
Lathetools_1_08.jpg

Studs for the lathe feet, wood screw thread with machine screw threads for using a nut and large fender washer.
Lathetools_1_11.jpg

2 part epoxy Concrete patching compound! :D To fill in around the lathe base plate and around the mounting studs.
Lathetools_1_10.jpg

Finally got to use the micro chuck I picked up from Micromark. The small pieces of 1/4 round would split when nailed, so I put in a small pilot hole, problem solved!
Lathetools_1_07.jpg

Kermit

Looking good Kermit

I think I will have to investigate that patching epoxy further.

Can is be formed? like to make a fillet?

Dave

steamer said:
Looking good Kermit

I think I will have to investigate that patching epoxy further.

Can is be formed? like to make a fillet?

Dave

You add as much sand, gravel, or silica flour as you wish to make anything from a pourable cement to large aggregrate concrete. The kit comes with a med granuled sand. looked good despite my best efforts to screw it up.

Drys almost as hard as metal but brittle. However, if you do manage to break it you can always patch it back good as new. ;)

Kermit

Kermit said:
You add as much sand, gravel, or silica flour as you wish to make anything from a pourable cement to large aggregrate concrete. The kit comes with a med granuled sand. looked good despite my best efforts to screw it up.

Drys almost as hard as metal but brittle. However, if you do manage to break it you can always patch it back good as new. ;)

Kermit

Kermit,

Dosen't the above added ingrediants make for a rough surface? Or do you added a clear layer and smooth it out?

Bernd

As smooth or rough as you want to make it. It's just like concrete, you can trowel over it and get a smooth surface ( to the eyeball at least)

Bernd said:
I'm thinking along the lines of coolant or oil on the table top. Wouldn't that be hard to clean off?

I'm sure like concrete it would stain some as the dirt gets into microscopic pits, but just like concrete it can be cleaned with pressure washing or chemical solvents.

Besides stains just give it character! ;D Can't stay New! forever.

Pretty is what you are when you're born, if you die that way then you obviously didn't have any fun with your life, ;)
Kermit

4.72 sq ft at a depth of 17/32 sloping to 3/4.

I don't have enough epoxy concrete!!

Solution: Filler strips for the benchtop. Removed almost 50% of the cubic area, leaving a minimum depth of 7/32 above the strips. and 3/4 between.

Lathebenchtop2.jpg

Lathebenchtop1.jpg

Since I dug out the router I found a section of the backboard around the rear bench legs I could flush trim after removing most of the excess with the jigsaw.

Lathebackleg2.jpg

Pouring the concrete epoxy today, but was asked by son if I would wait for him before starting.

More to come,
Kermit

Kermit,

That bench looks to nice to mess up with chips and oil. Thm:

Can't wait to see what it'll look like with the concrete on it.

Bernd

Thanks you Bernd, thank you very much.

I had some time to think over the mounting of the lathe. Metal lathe held down by a stud screwed into wood... :- ...I added a 1/4 in deep hole 1 inch across which I will fill with epoxy concrete. This will be below the metal base plate. This will hopefully provide a flat solid surface that will hold the woodscrew threaded portion of the stud in place better.( reduce lateral movement stress on the wood around the studs).

lathebenchholddownstud_01.jpg

lathebenchholddownstud_02.jpg

lathebenchholddownstud_04.jpg

If, heaven forbid, some force does tip this lathe, and pulls the threads out of the wood, I will drill it out to 1/2 inch and put large washer plates and lock nuts on the underside of the wood planks.

Ready to pour, so where's that offspring of mine?
Kermit

Kermit, that is going to be one nice bench. I am enjoying watching it being built and can't wait to see the next step.

Kenny

Latest posts

Back