A first engine project?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Undersize,

If you don't try it you won't learn anything. Though I would suggest a more simple example as a first project. Learning about your new lathe and how it behaves is the first challenge. Most start off with a wobbler and go on from there.

Happy engineering ! Don't forget the pictures :) :)

Hi Undersize,

If you don't try it you won't learn anything. Though I would suggest a more simple example as a first project. Learning about your new lathe and how it behaves is the first challenge. Most start off with a wobbler and go on from there.

Happy engineering ! Don't forget the pictures :) :)

Hi BaronJ,
Thank you for the reply. You are correct If I don't try it I won't know if it was a mistake or not.
I have been making swarf with test pieces whilst practicing different processes to a tolerance. I like the look of the LOBO2 and am always up for a challenge I will have to ensure I have room in my scrap bin and plenty of replacement material.
Happy engineering I hope so and I will try to record everything with pictures.

Undersize--The universal "standard" for first i.c. engines seems to be the Webster. It was my first, there are about a zillion threads on many forums outlining the builds by many different folks, and the plans are free on the internet. Don't let the fact that 2 stroke engines have fewer moving parts, so seem easier to build fool you. Four stroke engines are far easier and more forgiving than two strokes.---Brian

My first engine was the Stirling 2-90 M
But I agree with Brian the Webster is a good first engine project.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Undersize--The universal "standard" for first i.c. engines seems to be the Webster. It was my first, there are about a zillion threads on many forums outlining the builds by many different folks, and the plans are free on the internet. Don't let the fact that 2 stroke engines have fewer moving parts, so seem easier to build fool you. Four stroke engines are far easier and more forgiving than two strokes.---Brian
Brian,
I have downloaded the plans for the Webster 4stroke and I do agree that it looks like a good place to start. It has more parts and a variety of processes including heat treatment which will give me additional skills practice.Thank you for the pointer.:thumbup:

My first engine was the Stirling 2-90 M
But I agree with Brian the Webster is a good first engine project.

Hi ZebDog,
That was your first engine? I hope my first is half as good looking at that one is well done and thank you for sharing it.

Undersize--Here's something to chew on for a while. I still have the engine and it still runs great. If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask me.---Brian
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=7687
Brian,
Thank you for the offer I may need to take you up on the "feel free to ask me".
I have had a sneaky look at your build but an in depth look will have to wait until England have thrashed Wales in the rugby six nations.

Not exactly a thrashing but 12 - 6 to England. Now to the Webster build.

Hi undersize thanks for the compliments and good luck with your Webster build :thumbup:

Undersize--Here's something to chew on for a while. I still have the engine and it still runs great. If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask me.---Brian
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=7687

Brian, Thank you for the link, it is a great source of information.
I am currently looking at the Webster plan, looking at your build thread and the methods you employed with the equipment you have and deciding my best course of action on each component with my limited equipment/tooling.

Latest posts

Back