A covered walkway to my shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John

If you need an extra pair of hands just give us a call

Stew

Thanks K, very much appreciated.

Stew,

Work has been postponed until this weekend, to allow me to recover a bit, plus the weather looks like it is on the up, and there should be a full work crew in as well.

Many thanks for the offer. As you know, you can call round anytime we are at home, extra hands always come in handy on a job like this if you feel like it, but not critically necessary. Free beer and butties provided if you do, plus the chance to use foul language whenever you want.

Just getting it watertight overhead is the main bit, built in benches/seats and glass/mug shelves, as I did on my lovers' gazebo (outdoor khazi) in the garden, can be put in any time over the coming summer months, when body and soul allows.

John

Hi Bogs, Just wanted to add my good wishes, hope all goes well in the future, and you can throw away your brolly!

Many thanks again gents.

The weather has really picked up today, so I have decided to go it alone, making a few braces for fitting at the weekend. But before that, I have taken a couple of pics, from the same angles as last time, just to show how little we had got done the other day before the good news came thru, and we downed tools for a celebration and rest.

CANOPY05.jpg

CANOPY06.jpg

I mentioned before about the 'lovers' gazebo (outdoor khazi)', khzai in the UK means s**thouse, which I refer to it by, because it looks the part, just needs a half door on the front. The little shelves on the side are beer/wine/coffee/teacup rests.
Very handy when we have a barbie and lots of guests, which we haven't been able to do before now for a fair while, because we had to be like an isolation ward in an hospital, as Mal had to be very careful of not catching even a mild cold, as it could have been life threatening.

Hopefully this summer, we can restart things. It will be good to see all our old friends getting together again for a big social.

I designed and made this a few years ago, and it seems to be weathering well.
As can be seen, it is being used as a storage area while this cover is being built.

CANOPY07.jpg

I keep saying that I hate working with the 'brown stuff', but if it can go together with big nails or screws, and covering all the bodges up with a touch of wood preservative, I don't mind doing a bit of something with it.
Just design it with the same formulae and rules as you would on a metal structure.

Bogs

John,

Nice walkway but how did you manage a photo in dear old Blighty with blue sky ???

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
John,

Nice walkway but how did you manage a photo in dear old Blighty with blue sky ???

Best Regards
Bob

Photoshop ;D

The pic was taken on one of the seventeen and one third sunshine days we have each year, hence the need for a covered walkway. We have another two and one quarter days planned for next month (the start of summer).

And it is only that high a figure because of this new fangled global warming, before that, it was less than eleven per year.

Bogs

Work resumed again today and the weather has been absolutely great, nice and warm all day.

Bad news on the labour front, Tel, my mate has done his back in, building a fitted bedroom in his own house, so I gave him the weekend off. Oh! what a generous taskmaster I am.

Anyway, it meant that just my son in law and myself to carry on with the build. With me giving the instructions and him doing all the work, we soon had all the frame squared up, and all the corner braces in. Then everything was given a good tightening up. I had made the braces up myself, during the idle time we were off the job during the week. The mill came in very handy for drilling all the deep holes and putting in recesses for the bolt heads using a forstner bit.

After our bacon butty lunch, without having to be asked, Stew came around to assist, and with the extra help, we managed to get the plastic fascia on and the basic guttering system installed, then a bit more painting by the son in law got everything ready for fitting the roof tomorrow, if the weather holds.

I did try to help a bit myself, but I just got in the way, moaning and groaning, so I left them both to it, and what a great job they did.

CANOPY08.jpg

I consider myself very lucky to have friends that will help out when you get into a sticky situation. Without them, this job would never have got off the ground.

Bogs

Latest update of about 20 minutes ago, and after nearly choking myself on a line full of washing, I managed to get a shot of the first two roof panels on.

Stepping from bright sunshine (a rare occurrence in the UK) to underneath the protective roofing material seemed like an instant drop of about 10 degs F.

CANOPY09.jpg

Major problems though, none of our arms are long enough to fit the 'Black Jack' flashing against the wall and roofing. Looks like we need the help of a strong adult person that weighs less than 25lbs.

Bogs

I thought this job would only take about a week at most, but things dragged on a bit.

After two and a half weeks, we have come to a stopping point.
The first week, we had outside help from friends and relations, just to get the main frame up and roof on, that included our own Stew of birdbox fame, thanks Stew, from then on, it was just my wife and I to finish it off in dribs and drabs, when we could manage it. We couldn't ask the grandson, who lives with us, for help, as he is preparing for his final exams in a few weeks time, and that is more important than this job.

It took us about four days just to get all the wood preserving done. Moans and groans all round, it must have sounded like a hospital ward while we were doing it.

I finished the open ends off with white UPVC tongue and groove, it always makes a nice finish to the job, and matches the rest of the house. As you can see, the open area of our now very small garden still requires a good tidy up. That will come after we have recovered for a few weeks, and the weather gets a little warmer and frees up the old joints.

CANOPY10.jpg

From this shot you can see what we envisioned, the workshop end contains my storage and the open end is for Mal, who can not only relax in here, but also hang her washing up, even when it is raining.
The air is still a little damp to put the cushions on the outside furniture just yet, so it still looks a little bare and drab. It will also, when it gets warmer, have the paving power washed, they will come up a lovely yellowy buff.

CANOPY11.jpg

From the garden side.
This covered way goes the whole width of the house, so by our standards it is huge. It is in fact about the same size as my workshop.
Today's job was to fit the picket fence, it took me almost all day to drill and fit a dozen bolts. Still, it is done now, and hopefully won't need doing again, at least not in my lifetime.

CANOPY12.jpg

Even Bandit has moved his bed in, while Stews' birdbox awaits fitting, which will be done when we tidy up the outer bit.

CANOPY13.jpg

There is still the electrics and lighting to go in, but we are awaiting delivery of the lighting, so that will get done, as and when.

It now looks like my fag packet rough design has worked well, it is a very rigid structure indeed.

Total cost, 850 squid (about 1300 bucks), a third of the price of buying one the same commercially (fitting costs extra), but I did buy extra on top of that price, a 100 squid chop saw to cut all the wood, but that will be used again, when Tel, my mate, does the same thing with his house. So it does sometimes pay to do things yourself, even though it hurt a hell of a lot.

As they say, there are no pockets in shrouds, so enjoy it while you can. If the kids aren't capable of looking after themselves money wise when you are gone, tough luck.

That is now it for now, we can both have a good rest, then Mal can sit outside relaxing, while I'm back in my shop enjoying myself.

Bogs

It turned out well Bogs, all it lacks is a buxom wench running back and forth with foaming jugs (ale jugs, that is - not hers)

Nice job John:-

Just the place for an alfresco coffee and a natter.

Stew

Tel, are you trying to get me buried before my time is due? Mal would kill me, if the buxom wench didn't do it first. :big:

Stew, it's been thought of before. For when I get more than one visitor to the shop, we can sit outside rather than being cramped up.

Bogs

It looks very comfy, John. I'm sure you'll both enjoy it immensely. A lovely place to retreat on sunny days - both of them. :)

Now you have finished all the hard work I might pop up for a cuppa :big:

John s.

Excellent job John!!. With Mal now close by you'll have adult supervision when Bandit has to run to the wood pile.

Steve

Many thanks gents.

It really was just a crappy area that couldn't be used before, with brick walls, my junk, drainage pipes and hose reels etc. But now, even though those bits are still in there, it has been turned into an area we can both enjoy, hopefully for many years to come.

We only have a tiny house compared to some, basically 5 rooms, this has added about another 20% of good, useable space, for very little outlay.

But it is a place we have come to love over the last 20 odd years, and with a bit of luck, we will finish our allotted time here.

Onto more happier things, this little place of ours really comes alive when we have friends around for a knees up. That will all start again over the coming months, when Mal feels a little more sociable. It's time to blow away the cobwebs.

John

Nicely done John! Best wishes to you and Mal. Enjoy it.

Dave

Latest posts

Back