A covered walkway to my shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Nice John, :bow: :bow:

I hope you both, (and Bandit), get many years of enjoyment from it.

Best Regards
Bob

That looks great John, you must be happy to have it done.

Now you have more space to store stuff, time to go shopping!

Lee

Looks great John! Thm:

From the photos, it looks like Bandit is comfortable with it. ;)

Rick

Glad you got all the back breaking stuff done, John. It looks like a nice place to kick back and relax, or just to be outside when the weather doesn't normally allow.
Enjoy it!

Dean

John, that looks real nice. I like the color you did the wood, its very tastefull.

Kenny

Job well done John,all thats needed now is good summer weather and you all can relax and enjoy,
All the best for now,
John.

Thanks for all the very nice comments.

My daughter came this morning and power washed all the paved area for us, it came up a treat.

Then this afternoon, we had unexpected visitors come from afar (not all that far really, about 40 miles), they had heard Mal was up to having visitors again, so they took a chance and drove over. We all relaxed in the mild afternoon sunshine, a good time was had by all.

Things are now looking up.

John

Nice job John

Now you have a place for have a rest drinking a glass of Italian whine!!!
Best regards
Paolo

Much as I would love to, Paolo, people in the medical profession seem to think I can live without alcohol, so I am limited to sugar free soda, but I occasionally break the rules and do have the odd celebratory beer, about two or three cans in the last year. But there are always a few cans in the fridge if a visitor feels thirsty, but they must check the sell by date first before consumption.

Going out for a meal has never been the same for many years, I used to enjoy a good bottle of Chateau Plonk with my meal.

John

Hi John...
I'm sorry to ear that...health is over all pleasure...!
Paolo

Nice walkway John... but with just a little extra work it surely it could have been workshop space! :big:

BTW where did you get this bench seat? It looks to be just what I'm looking for to hide the recycle bags we have to keep.

CANOPY13.jpg

It couldn't become workshop space Bill, I have already used my percentage allotment for garden space, plus because it is open and made of wood (temporary structure) I don't need planning permission in the area I live.

I don't know where you come from Bill, but I got my bench seat from B&Q a couple of years ago, and yes, they are great for storing garden stuff, we used to keep the garden furniture cushions in it during the winter, until it started to act as a material overflow for the shop, but that is now in the two cupboards at the back.

They are still on sale.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1274036048543&isSearch=true

But they are very durable, waterproof for the contents and it easily takes my weight, plus two (skinny) others as well.

John

Thanks John ,

We've got a biggish B&Q in the town, I'll have a snout around for one

I don't know where you come from Bill,
Colchester - Where the lathes used to be made :)

Another final update.

The covered way to my workshop (secondary), Mal's new living space (primary).

But first some news.

Mal went to The Christie Hospital on Thursday, for checks after her year long fight with various life threatening cancers.

She has been given the all clear, and doesn't need to go back for checks until next January. Where she had the radical surgery is still giving her a lot of pain, but they put her mind at rest, stating that it will be another six months to a year before it will feel anything like normal.

As for myself, I go this coming Monday, hopefully to have my Tens unit fitted.
If that is the case, the pain clinic have said that I should be able to reach their goal of getting me back in my shop. That was the only thing I asked them to do for me, and over the last six months, they have been striving to make it come true.

Now onto the matter in hand, apart for a few minor things, the covered way and garden are now finished.

Garden01.jpg

Garden02.jpg

Garden03.jpg

Mal sits out here every day and evening, come rain or shine, she even hangs up her washing out under it before we go to bed, and it is dry for when she gets up in the morning, and she irons it under there as well.

The main thing is that I have fitted the garden out as a bird restaurant, and Mal spends hours just watching the birds with a spotting scope, and some are starting to become very tame, even after just a few short weeks.

The new neighbours at the back of us kindly cut down some old trees and bushes, allowing a lot more light into our garden, and sometime this weekend, my mate Tel is coming down to cut back the overgrown hedge on the RHS, allowing even more of that south facing light to come in.

A few of the lads have been down and had coffee and a chinwag under there, it is much better than sitting in the cramped kitchen as we used to do.

So, it has been a great success all round.

Bogs

John
Good luck with the Tens unit. I used one for several years to treat residual problems from a broken back, during my 20's. I still have some reminders of that event, some 30 years later. The Tens unit kept me going and the pain at a lower roar than it could have been.

Glad to hear Mal is recovering. I know how worrying it was there for a while. Sounds like the garden view is good medicine for both of you.

There is a magazine here in the states called Bird and Blooms. One of the products the publisher offers and heartily promotes is a cardboard cut out of a fully dressed human with one palm that acts as a bird feeder. Over time, the birds become accustomed to feeding from it. The trick is to then begin sitting in for the cut out figure with seeds in your hand so they learn to feed there as well. Apparently it has been a rather successful process for a large number of subscribers and a real hit with a number of old folks homes around the country.

Steve

Praise God for the good news. I know how worrying it can be.

Nice little garden area there. a good place to spend some relaxing times.

Very happy for you.

Ron

John,
Wonderful news on Mal's all clear. I know it's a tremendous relief. Also, hoping your treatment goes per plan.
Regards,
Dennis

P.S. The garden area looks great.

Many thanks for the well wishes and comments chaps, it is most appreciated.

These pics were taken at 6-30 AM this morning, so they are a little dark and the sun hadn't got around to our part of the world, unlike the bright sunshine we are in with our personal maladies, we are both now looking well into the future.

We just hope that things are now on the up and up, not down in the dumps, where we have been stuck for well over a year.

John

Hi John, Glad you have got some good news to report. The outside area looks nice and it helps your good lady to feel human again after the hospital
I have used a Tens machine for quite a while now and thats the only way I can work in my shop. I have been to a steam rally today and I wore it to help me walk round.
I am about half way though making your Paddle ducks engine quite a neat design, thanks for sharing the plans. Regards Keith.

These pics were taken at 6-30 AM this morning,
John I have heard that that is the bet time to take outdoor photos. It is the time of day with the most consistent light and the least amount of shadow. that is when a lot of the beach bikini shots are done for calendars . So I have heard. Beautiful garden. Sometimes I lament how small my little is (35 ft x 150 ft is not a lot in my book. I grew up on 23 acres. ) yours seems tiny but it looks like you have made the best of it. Good to hear the good news for Mal I hope the electronics work out for you and you can enjoy that garden and the shop.
Tin

Latest posts

Back