A Boley F1 Lathe Restoration

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariolucchini

Reaction score
Having inherited this great machine from my Grandfather, and after using it a lot of years with the most splendid results, it was time for a complete overhaul....

The Boley F1 watchmakers lathe was made by the Gustav Boley factory in Esslingen, Neckar, a small town in Western Germany....

The F1 lathe was designed as a "modern" watchmakers lathe, that is, it's design parted from the typical WW design seen in these type of lathes till then....it was manufactured in very small quantities during 1960 to 1970, year after which the G Boley factory closed down....this is one of the reasons to make it a very rare piece of machinery... :eek:

Some research in the web gave little or no results, but here are some images of the lathe found elsewhere.....these are images of other lathes, not mine....

boleyf1o.jpg

140.jpg

BoleyF1.jpg

Some advertising ads of the era.....

001579.jpg

439372175_o.jpg

And a picture of the original Boley accesories box offered with the lathe.............

Boley5.jpg

After this introduction, let's get to work on my lathe......

After complete dismantlement, first boring task was the sanding, puttying, leveling, more sanding, etc., of the lathes painted parts which have received the first priming coats.....

The lathe's main base casting.......weight of the base alone, little less than 5 Kgs.!!!!!!!

P3130024.jpg

The headstock casting.....

P3130026.jpg

P3130025.jpg

The tailstock casting..........

P3130027.jpg

The motor...............

P3130021.jpg

And other parts such as switch covers and the palm rest base....

P3130029.jpg

P3130028.jpg

As the primer coats dries, I'll do some more cleaning, polishing, rectifying and blueing of other mechanical parts....

Thanks for looking..........

Mario

That's a beautiful little lathe Mario. Looking forward to seeing it during and especially after your restoration.

Bill

Holey Boley, what a fine looking machine! :eek:

BillC

Latest posts

Back