A BEAM ENGINE

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi
A slight change of plan with the safety valve cover, I decided there is no need to silver solder the two parts together they fit ok as they are.

I have started to make a new steam valve to replace the tapered one that leaks a little. Here's a drawing. As is my usual way when I make a one off part I make it first then measure afterwards and do a drawing. The sizes on the drawing are the actual sizes the parts ended up as.

here's the parts so far laid out on the drawing.

Partially assembled.

It needs to be silver soldered together yet and some final trimming. The needle has to have some of the square end turned round and threaded to take a brass nut.

Cheers

Rich

As always Rich, true beauty and craftsmanship to behold. Thm: So spic and span, nicely sorted .... well, you get the idea, BRAVO!!

BC1
Jim

Hi

Thanks Jim

I finished the new valve today. Silver soldered the parts together and polished up. One cock up though. :( :( :( I tried to turn a short section of the needle down to a 1/16 to thread for a nut to hold the hand wheel on but advanced the cross slide a little too far and snapped the end of the needle off. fortunately it left a little of the square section, enough to push the hand wheel onto and then secure with super glue. I'll make a new one when time permits.

here's the completed valve.

And fitted to the boiler.

Next I made up a couple of pipes.

This is the steam feed pipe, it's 1/8.

It needs to be shaped better and lagged yet.

This is the steam exhaust pipe, it's 3/16.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1

It runs on steam. Have a look

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12bdcT-Yn0[/ame]

There is nothing quite like the sound of an engine running on steam. The smell, the drips of water and oil
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rich

th_wav Well done Rich ;D - runs like a charm !
Congratulations!

Kind regards, Arnold

Great runner rich, way to go! and way to recycle too ;) a job well done
Stew

Rich

Sounds even better than it looks, and it looks great :bow: :bow:

Great job.

Cheers, Joe

That was great.
When you let out the steam and started the engine...that was awesome.
I love the sound.

Congratulations.

(But I wish it hadn't been night out. I do enjoy seeing out your windows. ;D )

Thank you so much for the time you have taken to produce the photos and the videos it is clear to me that you enjoy sharing as much as the sense of achievement which come from your excellent work a big thank you.
Mark

Amazing! Really good Rich, a family heirloom that is. So much nicer seeing engines running on steam, you must have asbestos fingers though! ;)

Hi

Thanks Carl, it does sound nice doesn't it. Mark,thanks, a big part of this hobby is the sharing and I do enjoy it. Thank you Nick, funnily enough its not that hot.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

I took the steam feed pipe off and lagged it today. A drop of super glue on one end holds the string in place then wind it round tight to the other end and secure with another drop of super glue. To get a nice white look I paint the string with typists correction fluid.

I have decided to call an end to this model now. My intention was to build a small boiler feed pump and a dynamo to power a couple of lamps but I'm going to leave that for a future project. I have a couple of workshop tooling projects I want to get on with and then make a start on my next model.

My thanks to all that have posted comments, they are most welcome. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Cheers

Rich

th_confused0052 WOW th_confused0052

I am not sure how i missed this post Rich...
But it was an amazing read!!!!

Excellent workmanship!!
Takes a great mind to build something like that!! :bow:

Andrew

I too missed this WIP. A super job on the beam engine. I did not see a reference to "steampunk" but surely this would qualify. I say that with the highest of complements on a job well done.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi

Thanks Andrew and Phil.

The engine is still sitting on my bench along side the small steam plant at the moment. I have been busy with domestic duties for the last couple of months but have nearly finished now. It will be a shame to pack them away under the bench so I have room to start my next model.

Cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back