A BEAM ENGINE

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
HI

You may have noticed that apart from the odd comment here and there I haven't posted much since the completion of my small steam engine. I have however been busy building a beam engine. This engine has been on the go for about 3 years or so but I didn't want to post anything of its progress until I knew it would run, I didn't want to make a complete fool of myself until I knew I was on the right track. To explain myself a little better we must go back a good few years to the point at which I started in this hobby. I read all the books I could find, subscribed to magazines and joined this forum. It was then that the idea of this beam engine was born. So off I went. I soon realised that the necessary skills required to build such an engine had not as yet been mastered. The engine would of course need a boiler so I started on that as well. Same problem, not yet skilled enough. The beam engine went to the back of the bench while I concentrated on the boiler, one job at a time. With the help, guidance and support of the members of this forum the boiler was eventually completed. A full build log can be seen in the boiler section. Along the way new skills were learned and my confidence increased. Back to the beam engine but I'm afraid I didn't get very far. There was still much to learn. So I decided to go back to basics and build something simple, a little wobbler and simple boiler. It took quite a while to complete but was a great success and I was honoured to win project of the month with it. A full build log can be found in the A WORK IN PROGRESS SECTION under the title A SMALL STEAM ENGINE. Once again new skills were learned. Back to the beam engine but this time with the skills needed to progress. I must add at this point that I have had a fantastic amount of help over the years (privately) by a man I now consider to be a good friend. I have at times pestered him almost daily and been a bit of a nuisance I'm sure but he has always come through with the help and support and at times materials. That man is John Bogstandard. Many many thanks John Thm: Thm: Thm: Anyway I think I've rambled on enough for one night so without further ado here's a bit of video followed by a few photos. The engine is far from finished, it ran for the first time last night, and will progress from here. The last photo shows were the boiler will go. I won't say any more at the moment but see if you can spot the method behind my madness.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggwfHmmPfbE[/ame]

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

Well ! I'm not sure about your skills, as far as I can tell, you have started to build an I.C. engine and ended up with a steam engine ::)

I must say it's a beauty of an engine, and a very uniqe design it is.

Thanks for sharing your project with us.

In my sixties jargon, "that's really cool"! I always enjoy things made from found materials especially when they're automotive in nature.
gbritnell

Rich,

That's magnificent. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Man!!.... is tin Falcon ever gonna love this one, or what?....LOL. Nice example of giving one's imagination freedom to run with it. I certainly like it... A LOT!!

Steve

WOW!!!!
Thats really great woohoo1

Many congratulations on a truly fantistic build :bow:

Regards
Gordy

Gotta love the emagineering.
Tin

Mrs. Tin here - Couldn't resist adding my applause!! Beautiful engine!
But have to add a comment none of the 'guys' likely would.
Loving the ambiance!! Clothespins on a rope showing through the window!
Interesting way of 'proving' your neat shop truly is 'at home'. :big:

Congratulations Rich, and it is an honour for me to be of assistance to someone who has a dream, even though it has been a little long term.

A much better vid as well, the first one I saw just didn't do it justice.

John

Wow, very neat indeed. But with all those car parts, it needs an (air) horn. :)

Now put those parts back in the wife's car :big: :big: :big:
Great idea to use things you'd never give a second thought as useful engine parts.
I'm quite partial to"nodders",and this is one of the nicest I've seen.
Give that man a cigar!

You know what Rich?

It's Fabulous!

You tell a great success story, too. Thanks for the thoughtful introduction for the engine,
along with the pics and vid!

Dean

Rich, this is a really great, and everything that everyone else said. Thank you for sharing this build with us. larry

Fantastic Rich.

I was just thinking about you the other day. When I joined this forum, one of the first things I ran across was your water pump for pressurizing a boiler. I've wanted to build it ever since. The plans are in my project folder.

Very happy to get another shot of your outdoor view too! I've always liked your shop.

A splendid use of engine parts and a very whimsical rendering of a beam. In motion it has the trappings of a Dr. Seuss mechanical device. I mean that in a most respectful manner, it is delightful to watch. BRAVO!!

BC1
Jim

What a smashing idea. A great engine, that's very cool. I'll have to look at car scrap in a different light now.

Nick

Hi

Thankyou gentlemen, I'm glad you like it.

I have photographed this engine right from the start so I will post them as well as current work. It may take me a while to dig out the photos from 3 + years ago so bear with me. Its my birthday today so nothing will be done in the workshop. Julian is coming round tomorrow night so I suppose I shall have to drink beer with him as well woohoo1. The sound on the video isn't very good, the cameraman ( who shall remain nameless) had his finger over the microphone. I'll shoot another one at the weekend so you can hear better the sound it makes.

cheers

Rich

Super looking engine Rich. Well done.
Still 2 hours left of your brithday , so I can say many happy returns.

Mike

Happy Birthday Rich. Nice outside the box engine

Ron

That's an excellent engine Rich :bow:
I'm really looking forward to the rest of your build log ;D - and seeing that beauty running on steam!
A belated Happy Birthday as well!

Kind regards, Arnold

Back