9x19 DRO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
Hello everyone;

I'm going to install a DRO on my Grizzly 9x19 lathe. Being I haven't decided on an engine to build yet, I figure I would document how I am going to build the scale brackets. It's a pretty slick design that I found on Micro-Machine shop. I don't have any measurements for this project, so I will be building this off the pitcures I've seen. Though I'm building this for a 9x19, the design could be use for any small lathe.

Matt

012.jpg

These will be the scales and display I will be using. The the display is from CDCO and the scales are from Shars.

002.jpg

003.jpg

First I buffed the paint off the back of the cross slide carriage. Then drilled and tapped two 1/4 20 holes.

004.jpg

Next I cut a piece of 3/4x1x1 3/4 for the mounting block. Drilled two 17/64 holes for mounting. Also a tapped 1/4 20 on top and bottom and a 10-32 top and bottom and two 10-32 on one side.

007.jpg

Here's the mounting block all mounted up with two 1/4 20 by 1/2 cap screws.

009.jpg

008.jpg

Then to cut a piece of 2x2x3/16 angle for the cross slide scale mount. Drill holes to fit the mounting block. Rounded edges of mounting block to fit inside of angle.

Matt:)

013.jpg

Next I cut a piece of angle to fit the carriage scale. Drilled and tapped three 10-32 holes in the bottom for jack screws to aid in leveling. Three 17/64 holes in top for mounting and two 3/16 holes for mounting the scale.

011.jpg

014.jpg

Here I milled where the three 17/64 mounting holes are so the cap screws will be flat on the inside curve of the angle.

Matt

Great stuff - waiting with bated/baited breath etc. etc.

Regards, A

Watching with interest Matt.
Thanks for the great detail. Very helpful.

Thanks A & Zee.
002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Here I'm getting ready to transfer punch the mounting holes for the carriage scale mount. When punched, drilled and tapped the three holes for 1/4 20.

Matt

006.jpg

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

Next mounted up the carriage scale mount with three 1/4 20x 3/4 cap screws. Shim out top with washers and used the 10-32 jack screws in the bottom to level scale mount in all directions. The 2" dial indicator was a big help in doing this.

008-1.jpg

This shows the carriage scale mounted to the two 10-32 machine screws using nuts as shims.

Matt

009-1.jpg

010.jpg

011-1.jpg

Here I reinstalled the cross slide scale mount and scale to the mounting block. Now to start fabricating the scale brackets.

1hand
Was the advice given about powering the scales in the questions forum right for your setup?

(this related to removing the batteries in the scales and fitting a small capacitor in its place to avoid erratic readings caused by interference picked up on the connecting cables)

John

John;
I haven't yet, the Radio Shack here doesn't carry capacitors that small so I will have to order some off the net. Figure I would try this first and see if I will have any problems. The scales are easy to remove so adding them later won't be a big deal.

Matt

1hand said:
I haven't yet, the Radio Shack here doesn't carry capacitors that small so I will have to order some off the net.
Radio Shack doesn't carry ANYTHING like it used to, but they sure jump to sell ya a phone or TV as soon as you walk in the door. ::)

Watching this thread with interest; I need to get a lathe at home, and the 9x19/20 is one I'm considering.

Veron,
Boy you hit the Radio Shack thing on the head. Thanks for tuning in.
001.jpg

These are two 1/2x2x1 3/4 pieces that I'll mill for the back of the scales.

Matt

Vernon said:
Radio Shack doesn't carry ANYTHING like it used to,

I think they have a cabinet with a bunch of small drawers where you can still get the old goodies. Last time I checked, you can also still order the old goodies.

Don't trust the salespeople to know it's there.

You can also try DigiKey or Mouser.

Man...it's been ages for me. I miss the days when you could grab a 74, an 04, a 76, or whatever and slap some circuit together.

Yeah...and I still like DOS too!

Thanks Zee. Yeah I went through their drawers there, nothing. And if corporate Radio Shack doesn't stock it, no dice. They can't order anything unless they get it through them. What we have here is a throw it away world where you can buy it cheaper than you can fix it. Well for most people. Enough said bout that different topic different day.

Peace Matt:)

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Here I'm finish milling up the scale L brackets and installed them with two 3.5mm hex screws.

Matt

Latest posts

Back