9 x 20 lathe, tool post problem.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deanofid said:
Glad that you are happy with it, Rick. It looks very serious and ready to work!
This will postpone a new lathe for you for some time, I suppose? ;)

Hi Dean. Yes! I'm Very happy now that the tool post problem is history. The lathe is defiantly ready for some serious work. To machine the flywheels for my Upshur project, the 'Donut' was an absolute necessity to eliminate the inevitable chatter. And if I needed .002" more off a work piece to hit a dimension, all I had to do was put a little pressure on the tool post with my thumb. That's how bad the problem was.

As far as getting a new lathe goes, I always liked the looks and size of the 9 x 20 and still do, its the been the perfect size for my projects so far. And if I ever did get another lathe it would be in addition to, rather than instead of, the one I have now.

I have a serious attachment to this lathe and it would be next to impossible to part with it.

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
And if I needed .002" more off a work piece to hit a dimension, all I had to do was put a little pressure on the tool post with my thumb.
-MB

Someday I hope to work within the tolerances you do!!! Move the decimal point over a place, is where I'm at. Rof} To the right I meant. :wall:

Add me to the long, long list of 9x20 owners who have upgraded to a larger QCTP and have seen the light!

I had my Harbor Freight QCTP kit in a box for years. Just never got around to installing it. Now that I have, I can feel as well as see the huge difference.

I already had the 4-bolt compound mount installed, but now I think the "donut" is going to be coming shortly. :)

Hi Kmot, The 'Donut' is a very easy project. I wish I would have found out about it years ago.

I makes a huge difference regardless of the tool post you have or use. QCTP are nice but not the solution to the rigidity problem caused by the weak original mounting method.

Once you install the 'Donut" it will put a smile on your face. You'll be able to instantly notice the rock solid feel it provides.

-MB

:wall: :wall: :wall: I just started on a new clamp plate(15x100x100 steel) for the compound on my lathe but now I'm torn, should I make a doughnut instead....... ???

Has anyone tried both, how do they compare. ??? ??? ???

Mastermaker said:
:wall: :wall: :wall: I just started on a new clamp plate(15x100x100 steel) for the compound on my lathe but now I'm torn, should I make a doughnut instead....... ???

Has anyone tried both, how do they compare. ??? ??? ???

The designer claims it better than any other design out there. He conducted defection tests that show the "Donut' is a superior design. The problem is the small unstable base on the original compound. Adding a slightly better clamping ring doesn't completely solve this problem. Check out the links to the Yahoo groups in previous posts on this thread.

"Make the best...The heck with the rest"

-MB

I like this solution. I have the 10x22 Griz, and have the same problem with flex in the compound, I though it was me doing something wrong.

This one is going on the short list.

Kel

I used a 4" x 4" x 1/2" MS base plate, I happened to have access to a 3 1/2" dia 4140 Pump Shaft that was bent (scrap) and welded the two together for my QCTP. VERY heavy and solid! :)

Regards,
Chazz

Back