800Watt guy (eBay) all stainless digital caliper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Swede

Many of you may be familiar with this seller on eBay - user ID is 800Watt... he sells a huge assortment of imported machine tooling and such. The prices tend to be VERY cheap, and after several transactions with him, I am comfortable recommending him.

One of the items he sells is an all-stainless (no plastic) series of digital calipers. I have always been a fan of cheap import calipers. They are rugged, accurate, and inexpensive. At any given moment, I've got two or three kicking about at various work stations. I just opened this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=350020124000

It is a winner! The digits are huge, the response very fast, and best of all, it has that "feel" of a measuring tool that you'll enjoy using. The buttons have a "snap" action feel, and overall it is a very nice tool, especially at the price, which is often $15 or less! Buy one, at that price you will be very happy indeed. Look at his other stuff, too, he has a great selection.

Here is another winner: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350020125801 This halogen worklamp is an awesome value. One final item I've bought from him: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350021199406 This is a Z-axis depth setter for CNC work.

He tends to charge high for shipping, and apparently won't combine for a shipping discount, but if you take the shipping into account, his tools and the transactions in general are excellent. These 6" calipers are great, and they come in 4", 8" and 12" as well.

Got about 4 of his halogen lights and the Z-axis touch setter. I highly recommend both. Guess I'll have to pick up some calipers. I have a Mitutoyo and a cheap import. The import is functionally identical except for somewhat shorter batter life and feel. They're a little looser than I like. Sounds like I need to pick up a set from 800 watt. I may try a little larger calipers. Mine are both 6", and you know, size does matter.

I just bought my 4th halogen light. The other 3 have magnetic bases as pictured. My latest one is designed to be mounted directly on a machine. I have an idea I want to mount one on my mill head. It's way on the back burner, but when I get around to it, I'll post a pic. If you don't have a nice halogen work light on each machine, you're really missing out. The light from them is wonderful.

Cheers,

BW

PS Fellas, look out for this guy Swede. He's got me spending money like crazy. He's a bad influence I tell ya!

I have made a few purchases from the vendor 800Watt.

Their shipping is a bit slow compared to other vendors.
If you take a look at the volume of business they do, that
becomes understandable.

I have never been disappointed with the tools I've purchased for
the prices paid.

Rick

Can someone please explain how the z axis setter works?

E

Yep. There is a write up near the bottom of my web page:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillTipsTechniques.htm

How does it work? Simple. There is a little knurled knob on the device. It has a "test" and a "use" position. Set it to "test" and an internal standard swings into place so that if you press the anvil on top with your finger until you hit the stop, you'll have exactly 2" from top of anvil to bottom of gadget. You rotate the dial to zero in that position. Now reset the knob to "use", place it atop the workpiece, bring the cutter down until the needle registers, zero the needle, zero your DRO, and you should be exactly 2" above whatever the presetter is sitting on.

Very precise, very handy!

Cheers,

BW

Thanks, that is how i thought it worked, but wasn't really sure.

I looked at several of his items, prices look real good. I prefer "Buy it now" but he never seems to have it on the items I'm interested in.

Swede, Is that nice radial in your avitar on a test stand??
Julian G.

Julian Garrett said:
I looked at several of his items, prices look real good. I prefer "Buy it now" but he never seems to have it on the items I'm interested in.

Swede, Is that nice radial in your avitar on a test stand??
Julian G.

It is not so much a test stand as it is a permanent and functional display mounting. I've had many guys ask me "when are you going to fly that thing?" and my response is always something like "Whoever owns it next, because I'll never risk it." Too much work flying around, vulnerable to a nasty crash because some kid fires up his R/C car a block away! ;D

I loved RC back in the day, but it was always a race to build faster than I crashed!

LOL,

BE

Latest posts

Back