SX3 DRO Kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
I'm posting this thread to keep from hijacking jlmanatee's thread. I just placed an order for a DRO kit designed specifically for the SX3 mill. I looked at a number of the available options, such as Shumatec, Shooting Star and a few others. I finally settled on the kit offered by seller "toolssales" on Ebay and did the buy it now last night.

Most of the systems I looked at had resolutions of .001 - .0005 with repeatability of .001 inches. They ranged in prices from $600 to $1000.00 depending on the options they offered. At $500.00, plus shipping, this guy is offering a glass scale system, fitted to the SX3 with resolution to .00004 (.001 mm) with all the options available on the higher priced kits found elsewhere. His display is a 3 window 8 place system insteadof the normal 3 x 7.

Let's see... high end components, higher resolution, more functions, cheaper price and no install mods required. I'll post more as the kit arrives and I begin the install. I just thought I'd share what appears to be one heck of a deal on DRO's.

Steve

Gahh! :'( Where was this seller when I started the project? Looks nice and the price is O.K. too.

-Jack

Jack
I know exactly what you mean. I paid a tad over $400.00 for a chinese caliper style scale system with a very bare bones display sometime back. I spotted this system a few weeks back but wanted to go to Cabin Fever and see what might be available there before buying.

I'll be using the old DRO's on the two lathes and probably the little X2 mill, so it's not going to waste. Just got to order a couple of scales and some cords.

Steve

Steve,

A point of information here. This may also help some of the newer members with decision making on getting DRO's.

What got my attention was the specs, plus or minus .001mm (or 400,000th of an inch) at 20C or 68F.

Can you keep your shop at exactly 680F? If you can't then this speck is out the door and of no use in making a part. How do I know about this. Were I worked they made parts with a tolerance in the millionth of an inch. It was done in temperature controlled rooms and the machine had chiller units on there hydraulic systems to keep the temperature in check. Also, I question the need for such accuracy in making a model part, especially a steam engines that needs loose tolerances to begin with. Perhaps if you are building an IC you would need closer tolerances. All ferrous and non-ferrous metals do change size to varying temps. I'm not trying to belittle your purchase. I'm just passing some info along for what it's worth

But hey, the price was right and fit to what you were looking for so why not.

Bernd

Steve,
I thought about the real "need" for those kind of tolerances too. Makes me feel a little better about the Shumatech / Chinese scale solution I'm using. :) But what the heck, sure would have saved time to have a ready-made solution.

- Jack

Jack
I'm not sure I'll ever really "need" those tolerances either, but after playing with bolt circle calculations, it became obvious that there were going to be some "odd" vectors to the solutions. I'm not putting down any other DRO make, but I was a bit surprised at what was offered at the price. It only made sense for me to buy as much capability as possible, if only to get the bang and buck thing working in my favor.

I've been happily using far less than what Shumatec has to offer and would probably have been quite pleased with their system too. Money well spent, either way.... eh?

Steve

While that level of accuracy may be somewhat academic in a home shop, it sure doesn't hurt. After one factors in the assorted errors of +/- one resolution count in the display, the error in the scale itself, and such, some amount of "overkill" is desirable to ensure one reliably gets the accuracy one really wants.

If you look on the sale page, the guy also offers other size scales. I'll be looking at the quality when mine arrives and then do a write up on what I see. Could become a cheaper source for better quality DRO's than have been commonly available up until now. I hope that is the case.

Steve

Update....
Still awaiting the arrival of the DRO kit. Contacted Seller yesterday to check on progress. As I was writing to him, an email popped in my in box from him. He was asking for confirmation that this order was going on an X3 mill. There was apparently some confusion over another order which would not be installed on an X3 and he wanted to make sure both parties got the right kits.

I confirmed the SX3 install and within 10 minutes he responded offering to send the install and operator manuals so I could study them in advance of the shipment. I accepted his offer and this evening they arrived by email. So far he has readily responded to my questions, each time, within an hour of asking them. Never got that from a US tool seller on Ebay. Fingers crossed and thumbs twiddling for now.

Steve

i have an sx3 that i added a glass scale readout to and i had bought it off of ebay . and at the time he was called dro trader. at that time which was almost 2 yr ago and paid about $450 for it shipped straight from china. and sense i have it installed i have not been disappointed in the setup at all. and yes it reads down to the millionths, but a piece of elec. tape over the last digit solved that problem. and i have found it to be one of the best purchases i could have made.
the install was very time consuming, and i had to figure out how to mount it. and i had to tare down the x and y for drilling the mount holes. and because i have added a power feed to the x, i had to mount the y axis unit to the hand crank side of the base. and i had to make my own mount for the y.
i have some pic's of the install, but can't figure out how to post them in this reply. but anyhow i started off using a piece of alum angle to get the side straight because of the z crank notch in the casting. the i was able to make another angle piece to get the distance needed to reach from the x table slide to the distance needed for the readout and needed to give clearance for the table travel. and as for the x , it was a simple install on the back side of the table.
probably the next mod i want to do is add z power feed after i add a 4" block to the z at it's mount point to give more z travel. and i don't believe this will effect any thing else. but making model engines with some of there setups i found i need more z travel to be able to drill and bore some holes. like on a 1/2 scale motor i'm working on now.

Bmuss
Thanks for the input. I'm still waiting for the guys in hong Kong to return to work from the Chinese New Years Celebration so they can get the kit shipped. I've had communication with them and other than a bit of wear on my patience, I'm certainly looking forward to getting the kit and installing it.

Steve

Hi All,
I too have a SX3 and would like to add a DRO. I like the look of the 3 axis readout in Mike N reply 189$. Does anybody know if it is available in the UK.
Regards Geoff

Geoff. that $189 is for the readout unit only. The scales are extra. Almost another $180
Mel

Not to be picky but resolution only means how many numbers are to the right of the decimal point. The real judge is, or should be quoted under accuracy and REPETEABILITY. I'm shopping for a high end Newall 4 axis dro right now. For a dro display and scales that are going to cost over 3 grand you might be amazed at what Newall quotes as obtainable accuracy and repeteability.These numbers are not near as good as you might think. If you don't beleave me then check out Newalls web site and look up the specs on sperosyn and microsyn scales. Doesn't matter if the display reads to .000000000001 if it does not have accurate and repeteable scales, And a display that can properly process that information, then all those digits don't mean a whole lot. I hope you don't think I'm trying to ruin your day, I'm not. It's just that too many people confuse resolution with accuracy, There not the same thing at all.

Pete

Hey Pete...
When I can have more functionality with increased accuracy and better components for fewer dollars, then I'm all for it. Resolution is not the selling point. In fact the last window will probably be taped over just to avoid potential confusion. As long as it keeps me within the .001 +/- zone I'm not going to be unhappy. I will however have $200.00 in my pocket that I wouldn't have if I was buying almost any of the other caliper scale or rack units I've encountered. That IS a selling point.

Steve

Cedge, sorry most of what I wrote wasn't directed at you, I just see far too many people that confuse accuracy with resolution and then are not happy with what they bought.

Pete

Pete
No problem. I've just gotten a bit of flack over this purchase from several sources, both on the specs and the fact that it is a Chinese purchase. Thankfully, none of the negatives came from this board. Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.

On a different note, I just got confirmation of shipment from the seller. Apparently he took it upon himself to pay for expedited Fed Ex shipment and I will have the DRO kit in hand by 10:30 Monday. I guess he appreciated my patience with the long Holiday delay.

Steve

Cedge. yeah I know exactly about the flak and chinese tools. I own a fair ammount of them, Most of it pretty good, But I also own a Seig c-6 lathe that must have been made the day after the Chinese new year, And they also told the guy he was fired at the end of the day. Then they gave him my lathe to machine and assemble.

Tailstock points uphill .009 in 2 inches, Cross slide is out in both directions, Milling table is warped. Stopped checking at that point as my blood pressure won't take much more. So yeah you can get good and bad chinese products just like goods made here. Good luck with the dro, Will be interesting to see how it checks out.

Pete

Pete
There is no doubt that quality varies among the Chinese machines. I've been real lucky with both my C2 and now the new C4 lathes, as well as the SX3 mill. I paid a bit more for them than some people do, but Micromark and Travers Tools also paid a bit more for their better fit and finish too.

I measured for inherent taper on the C4, this week, to determine head alignment. It came in at .00045 over 10 inches, according to the digital micrometer. I strongly suspect that error was introduced by the tail stock, rather than the headstock. I've got nothing to ***** about....yet....LOL

Steve

Back