SX3 DRO Kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1Hand
You'll need to go into the set up mode and adjust the movement. It's a bit confusing in the manual but you'll quickly find the right ratio by trial and error. If memory serves, mine is set at "1" but I'll check that if you need me to do so. Stew might remember what he is was set for, better than me....

Steve

Oh boy dont know what I got my self into now just want somthing so I didnt have to count hand turns. Thanks for the help. What part of the setup is it were you change that number. Ive been looking at the manual but its all pretty greek to me, just makes my head hurt so far......

I think I got it........I went into linear error and entered 4000000 and got the y axis pretty close, with a steel rule anyway. Hand wheels are still off and still have to install the x axis yet. Got y axis on without having to remove the table. Still have to check run out and shim and tighten up then I can just play the that number to Dial it in..RIGHT??? I wonder why that number is high? It was off by about 4" so I started with 4 and kept adding zeros til it got pretty close. I know I'll have a pile of questions before this is all said and done but
I sure do thank you guys for the help in advance!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow:
Hopefully I'm not in over my head yet........its just getting fun.

Thanks guys, Matt.

1hand,

You need to set the scale resolution for each of the three scales. For the scales that came with my system, the correct setting is 1μm (1.00).

I'd suggest that you reset the LINEAR ERROR COMPENSATION back to 0, and continue into the setup menu 'till you get to RESOULUTION.

From the (so-called) instructions:

2.7 Scale Resolution
Resolution options: 0.05μm, 0.1μm, 0.2μm, 0.5μm, 1μm, 2μm, 5μm, 10μm, 20μm, 50μm.

0 After entering “SETUP”, press or until message-window displays “RESOLUTE”;

1 Press Enter , X-window, Y-window and Z-window displays resolution of each axis separately. The message-window displays “SEL AXIS”, indicating the next step is to select axis.

2 Axes selection
Press X to change linear scale resolution of X-axis. Numbers on X-window flash;
Press Y to change linear scale resolution of Y-axis. Numbers on Y-window flash;
Press Z to change linear scale resolution of Z-axis. Numbers on Z-window flash.

3 Press or to scroll through 0.05, 0.10, 0.20, 0.50,1.00, 2.00, 5.00, 10.00, 20.00, 50.00.
As the right resoluion displayed, press Enter to confirm your selection and return to “SEL AXIS”state. Press AC to cancel your selection.

Hope his helps...

Steve

Steve;

Thanks a million reset and change the other to 1 and presto, works like a dream. Now to tackle the x axis install tonight.

Steve...
Thanks for covering for my memory lapse. I was going to have to pull out the manual to recall how to get back into the set up mode....LOL

Steve

dro002.jpg

Well here she is. Sure is going to be nice. The install went very well even though I only have one arm. Now to figure out how to hang some sorta DRO on the lathe. Have scales and a display just need to make some mounts. Thanks alot guys for helping me out. :bow:

1hand....
The lack of a hand isn't considered a valid excuse on HMEM. Bogstandard worked one handed until only recently and his projects were best described as simply astounding. He's become downright scary with two paws to play with. Go for it!! We'll all be here to lend you a hand when you need it....(grin)

Steve

Unfortunately the kit from "toolssales" is not on ebay anymore :mad: :redface2:
I was going to go for this one.
Gordy

Thanks for that link.
I couldn't get to it before, don't know why. ???
Gordy

Steve
I managed to order the DRO, have had it delivered and now it is fitted.

Will post pics as soon as I get my camera sorted.

Regarding the Chinglish instructions, did you manage to figure any of them out.
I am specifically referring to the Auto Edge Detection ( p 32 in the users guide .... what a misnomer!!)
I cannot figure out which button you are supposed to press when you find the first edge (I have tried all the buttons but nothing seems to work).

I have been reduced to doing it the long hand way, setting the axis to zero on edge detect, add the radius of the detector head, reset zero, that then gives the datum of zero for the respective axis, you can then measure the work and divide it by 2 to find the centre.

Hope you have had better luck than me, or maybe someone else has, pls feel free to chirp in with comments.

I have watched all the videos in http://www.dropros.com/Digital_Readout_Videos.htm DRO PROS and found them helpful.

Regards
Gordy

Not having progressed to this mod yet; I'd like to know something about the way these kits operate.

Is the 'zero' you set permenant in any way? Do you have to set another zero, before the first one goes away? Does this setting persist between power off and next days power on?

Simple things, but I'm doing my best to try to understand any difference in capability between these affordable kits and the name brand stuff.
Thanks,
Kermit

Gordy
Since I tend to work from the center point of a work piece on the mill, I've not really used the auto edge feature. I just pop in the old fashioned wiggler, zero from two directions for each axis and divide by 2....... Dead centered every time.

Kermit
The unit functions exactly as the name brand units do. Zeusrekining visited shortly after i installed mine and he was astounded that it did everything the ones they use in their machine shop for so little money.

It does retain inputs, even after being powered down and yes... you can alter. I'm not sure the "permanent zero" would be all that desirable since we change between different parts so often. However, with work stops it would be easy enough to establish a "zero" throughout a series of identical parts.

My favorite feature has been the bolt circle and the ability to evenly space holes on a line at any angle of origin. There is still much to learn as this thing has a number of features I've yet to need.

Still a happy owner
Steve

Latest posts

Back