4 degrees taper reamer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 4 or 5 degree included angle tapered machine reamer that starts out at about 2mm diameter at the small end.--Doesn't really matter if it is metric or imperial. I want it for machining the taper in model carburetor throats. Does anybody know where I can buy one in North America?---Brian

Hi Brian
My first thought was a taper pin reamer but that angle was to shallow about 1.2 deg inc. I then found this. https://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/Tapers.php
It would seem that 4-5 degrees is a bit more than most standard reamers. I could not find any special reamers "by the degree" like you can find for special sizes. And those all start around 5mm at the small end.
You might have to make it.

Scott

You can get a 1/8" taper endmill with a 2-degree taper per side at McMaster-Carr. It's about 3mm at the tip. They also have 3-degree per side as small as 3/32 which is 2.4mm.

D-bit with 2mm tip seems really delicate with only a single cutting edge, but could be worth trying.

Brian,

I second the experience that D-bit tapered reamers can be easily made. I made a little one to make carb. jets for a car I was working on. "Try it, you'll like it."

--ShopShoe

Brian

Herewith a few pics of a cone reamer I made a while ago for a carburettor:

Using a round nose tool to get the initial shape, topslide set over to the required angle.

Milling ALMOSt half the diameter away. In this size, 5/16"" dia, I left 4 thou over the half thickness to allow for final honing and to maintain the cutting edge

After hardening and tempering

If I can do it, anyone can, especially one with your capabilities!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I have use taper end mills for reaming taper holes when I can find a reamer

Dave

Latest posts

Back