3X Sparkplug 4X Size

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_0147.JPG
This is a bit of a crazy project put it is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Back in the teens and twentys this would have been one of the plugs found in the old flatheads like the ford model T and model A and maybe a few of the hit miss engines that required a plug.

I'm not a big fan of the text with all the photos in a pile at the end of the post so i'm going to make a post for each photo with a description until i learn of a better way.

Bottom insulator is up first. A piece of white delrin will become the lower insulator. The top and bottom were broken up so 2 small drops could be purchased instead of a large and expensive piece. The 2-3/8 diameter piece was faced on both ends and brought to a 4 inch length.

Last edited:
IMG_0151s.jpg
Next the insulator was drilled through with a 9/32 drill bit. Seems weird to do this last but the operation required that the jaws of the drill chuck go deep into the .970 bore or the drill bit wouldn't make it all the way through the piece.

Last edited:
Steve, here's a quick picture tutorial for you. I've drag and dropped 2 images into my post (or I could have uploaded them normally) and I can see them sitting at the bottom of my post. If I do nothing more, they will show up as thumbnails at the end of my text. However, I'm now going to start a new line and click on the button next to the first one that says "Full Image" and :

IMG_2669.JPG

Then I type some more text, start another new line and hit the button next to the second picture:

IMG_3209.JPG

And that should be all there is to it!

Btw - this plug should be a thing of beauty. Great idea for a paper weight or decorative piece (or you're planning a truly massive build).

Today I finished up the outside of the lower insulator. Made a little what ya call it with a 3/8 thread through it. Then using the internal thread in the insulator
it was screwed to the what ya call it and that freed up the small end to be machined complete.

IMG_0154s.jpg

Just need to drill one more hole in it and it will be 100%

IMG_0153s.jpg

Got my bottom electrode completed today. Simple part that took less than 1/2 hour.

This is 1/2 inch drill rod. Faced and then Center drilled.

IMG_0155s.jpg

Part was turned to print

IMG_0156s.jpg

After cutting it off with the band saw the piece was reversed, faced to size, center drilled, and drilled with a 1/8 inch drill bit about 1.5 inches deep.

IMG_0157s.jpg

Sorry about the bad photo. The part was reversed again. The end got a chamfer and then polished up for a nice appearance.

IMG_0158s.jpg

IMG_0160s.jpg

IMG_0161s.jpg

Little more progress today.

Chucked up a piece of 6" round and indicated it in to within .010.

IMG_0162s.jpg

Faced it off and drilled a center hole.

IMG_0163s.jpg

Inserted the tail stock center and made a 5.25 inch piece out of a 6 inch. Had to reduce it or it will not fit in the other lathe.

IMG_0164s.jpg

Then it was drilled through with a 3/4 drill bit. Spent the rest of the day making a boring bar long enough to reach 6-1/2 inches into the piece. Tomorrow we bore!

IMG_0165s.jpg

Well we managed to get a little more done today. The bore is 2 inches (2.003ish) to allow the 2 inch bottom insulator to be inserted. My boring bar was to short so a 12 long piece of 3/4 was converted into a boring bar.

20190202_141928s.jpg

Started at 750RPM and .025 deep passes. Had to stop at 4 inches deep and clear the bore of swarf and then again at 6 inches deep. About the 1.250 inch diameter mark I started getting alot of chatter so I slowed down to 450RPM and continued with the same program. About the 1.750 diameter mark the chatter was back so I had to lighten the cuts to .015 deep and 330rpm. and when finished I was down to .005 deep cuts and 150rpm but real nice finish. Took forever!! But real happy with the result.

IMG_0172s.jpg

Piece was flipped 180 degrees and indicated in. First faced to length. Had to borrow a caliper larger than 6 inches as the piece is 7.100 tall. Then bored the center hole and finally cut the counter bore.

IMG_0171s.jpg

All my buddy had was a giant, 24 inch caliper. It's 4 times bigger than a standard 6 inch caliper. 4x caliper to measure a 4x sparkplug base. Gotta love that!

IMG_0173s.jpg

More progress to report. The top insulator is complete

The piece of delrin was faced to length and drilled through.

IMG_0210s.jpg

Then the hole was counter bored for a future bolt to hold the brass cap on.

IMG_0211s.jpg

The part was bored out to remove unwanted material.

IMG_0212s.jpg

Over to the mill the part was chucked and the center of the bore found.
IMG_0213s.jpg

Holes were drilled and tapped to mount the insulator to the base.

IMG_0216s.jpg

A small mandrel was made with a matching hole pattern.

IMG_0219s.jpg

The piece was mounted in the CNC lathe using the mandrel.

IMG_0220s.jpg

The piece then was tapped in alignment and finished.

IMG_0221s.jpg

IMG_0223s.jpg

Little more progress today.

I wanted the top and bottom bolt patterns to be close in alignment. Don't need to be exact but close is good. Made a small mark in sharpie on the jaw of the vise and then marked up the piece with a square off the top of the vise jaw.

IMG_0224s.jpg

Located the center of the hole and drilled in the pattern that will hold the top insulator to the base.

IMG_0225s.jpg

Rotated the part 180 degrees and aligned my mark with the mark on the vise jaw. Then I located the center of the bore. Only needed one hole to screw the electrode into but my lathe is so small I had to make 4 to bolt on a mandrel.

IMG_0226s.JPG

A mandrel was made from a scrap piece of ally to allow the piece to be mounted into the 9X20 lathe.

IMG_0227s.jpg

Now you can see why the 6 inch round was knocked down to 5.25 inches. I think there was about .050 or less between the piece and the cross slide.

20190216_125226s.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality but the camera battery died so the phone was used. The top portion of the piece was machined to size and shape.

20190216_151418s.jpg

The CNC machine doesn't seem to care about how the swarf is coming off, how much and where it ends up. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to coax the never ending stream of swarf to go onto the floor instead of wrapping around the chuck and everything else. After making tiny parts I was not prepared for the never ending stream of aluminum but we got through it with a nice looking piece.

20190216_190103s.jpg

Camera died so I couldn't show it last time but the bottom was roughed out on the manual lathe. It was them mounted in the little lathe to be finished.

IMG_0228s.jpg

The bottom was finished up to the proper shape.

IMG_0229s.jpg

Starting to look like a sparkplug base now. Still a lot of metal to remove.

IMG_0230s.jpg

Brass showed up for the top nut so I got a start on that job. A mandrel was made with some thread sticking out.

The blank was made by facing both sides and drilling and tapping completely through the piece.

IMG_0231s.jpg

Blank was screwed onto the mandrel.

IMG_0233s.jpg

4 minutes later the piece was to shape. Still a little work to do but close to being done.
IMG_0234s.jpg

Back