3D printed gear

Discussion in '3-D Printers' started by cobbadog, Nov 4, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Nov 7, 2018 #21

cobbadog

cobbadog

cobbadog

Again a big thanks for the hints and tips to tracking down the gear/s I'm after. I will chase it up later today as work is now screaming at me.

2. Nov 8, 2018 #22

CFLBob

CFLBob

CFLBob

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Retired Electrical Engineer (Radio designer)
    Maybe this is late, but has anyone tried 3D printing a gear in plastic (PLA or whatever your printer works with) and then investment casting it?

I'm thinking maybe a low density print, not as strong as the material could be, invest it in the the kind of investment that jeweler's use and then casting the gear in brass or aluminum? Not sure it would handle casting steel, but I think there is such as thing as investment casting steel.

I don't know anything about this kind of investment, just that the seller is one the biggest names in the jewelry industry and is reputable. Offered in case no one knows what I'm talking about.

cobbadog likes this.
  3. Nov 9, 2018 #23

lohring

lohring

lohring

There are three filaments that I know of for 3D printed patterns for lost wax casting.
    Polycast, Moldlay, and Machinable wax. Polycast seems to be available only for industrial users. Moldlay seems to be easier to use than Machinable wax. I haven't tried any of them since my investment casting equipment isn't set up.

Lohring Miller

cobbadog and CFLBob like this.
  4. Nov 9, 2018 #24

CFLBob

CFLBob

CFLBob

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Retired Electrical Engineer (Radio designer)
    Thanks for those links! Very cool.

I don't have a 3D printer. Yet. It's seems like a natural for making parts by casting and casting is a very common manufacturing technique. I'll copy those three links and keep them.

5. Nov 11, 2018 #25

cobbadog

cobbadog

cobbadog

I am hopeful I have found a supplier of gears "off the shelf" and I now only need to confirm the number of teeth, the pitch which they must match and a bore size already in steel. I am also very confident that one printed in this PLA product would also be a successful gear to use under the condition of which it will be put, a simple rotating gear against a lead screw with no or very little resistance.
    Cobba