3 Cyl Spider

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful Jerry! :bow: :bow: :bow:

That is an amazing engine!

Rick

Thanks Rick. I really enjoy messing around with it. Here are a couple of things I have noticed while tuning it.

1. It seems to run better in the morning. It runs smooth and easy on very little pressure but by afternoon, it begins to get a little sluggish, takes more air pressure and runs less easily at low RPM.

No, I'm not just running it all day. I'm doing other things, making modifications, washing the car or the dog or honey-do jobs but when I get back to it, it doesn't run as well. This is Florida and the humidity is up. The compressor is running wet. I can actually see the moisture running through the clear plastic lines at the engine input. It mixes with the oil in the engine and gets sticky. If I drain the compressor,blow out the lines, blow out the engine with some high speed running, and switch to a very light air tool oil, thing improve greatly.

Here's my question. Do any of you use some kind of moisture trap or drier with you compressor? What Kind? How? What about in-line oilers?

Jerry

I do have a low tech dryer attached to the output of my air compressor.
It works very well. I'm sure this will cause some eyebrows to rise, but this
is where I bought it. Inline Desiccant Dryer/Filter.
I have never changed a filter, I just buy a new unit at that price.

Rick

May I comment that a wobble plate and a swash plate are not the same thing, this is a wobble plate type engine.

This is a wobble plate mechanism:

wobble%20plate%20motor1.gif

And this is a swash plate mechanism:

swash%20plate%20motor3.gif

Therefore Elmer Verburg's "Wobble Plate" engine should be called a swash plate engine.

Kaleb

You are right, of course, but if you really want to be accurate, Elmer's engine is neither. It has a normal crankshaft. It is really an ENGINE with a SWASH PLATE VALVE MECHANISM. But it is so well know and Elmer is so highly regarded that the current name is going to last.

Jerry

CJ,

Swash plate, Wobbler, Whatever........... it's still a Fantastic piece of work. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Old Navy saying, "You can call me what you like as long you don't call me late for pay or liberty, (leave)."

Latest posts

Back