3 1/2" Gauge 2-4-0 Locomotive

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stew,
Very clever, very nicely done. I'm always interested to see what dodges folks use to get an awkward job done.

For me an awkward job is, among other things, one which the shape and material present holding challenges which if not done securely could be potentially fatal to the part. Brass and bronze are especially difficult due to the tendency of tools to snag and dig in, thus the need for very secure holding . . . without damaging or crushing the part of course!

I'll have exactly the same job to do for my loco this summer and your collet technique bears remembering, especially for flycutting the base.

Good job Stew; that's coming along very nicely Thm:

Regards, Arnold

Stew,

Very nice work and set up idea. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Guys

Now for the inner steam dome, the regulator fit in this which sits on top of the boiler to collects dry steam. Its fabricated from 1 1/8 dia copper tube and copper/Phos bronze:- here are the bits set up for soldering, I used the brass bar to keep the copper collar in place.

100_3478.jpg

Whoops :doh::-- Soldered one of the brass bars to the dome :lol: :D

100_3481.jpg

Never mind just cleaned off when I set the job up true in the lathe to clean the face that will seal on the boiler.

100_3483.jpg

Last job drill 12 holes in the collar for bolting to the boiler, using the PCD feature on the DRO.

100_3484.jpg

Thats it another one off the list.

100_3489.jpg

Cheers

Have fun

Stew

Stew,
I saw your first photo and the first thing that ran through my mind was: "If I tried that, I'd probably solder the rod to the work." Had to chuckle when I saw photo two.

I'm enjoying following this build and am learning a lot. Thanks.
Dennis

Thanks John

Picked a bit up from the scrappy on Friday I was after 18G but could only find 20G it should be OK as the pressure is acting on a small diameter cylinder. I'll mention it to the boiler inspector if he sucks his teeth its not a big job to remake.

Thanks Dennis

I was chatting to the clubs boiler inspector, an ex Crewe Works Copper Smith, about building the boiler and he gave me a good tip:- to leave the clamps I was planning to use to solder the boiler outside to go rusty that way they won't stick to the solder. These old craftsmen are a rich source of knowledge and experience well worth cultivating.

Cheers

Stew

Ha! I thought the same thing as Dennis. Then saw your next pic. : )
Everything is coming out great, Stew.

Dean

Latest posts

Back