.22lr Gatling project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to wait til I get the plans to see what is all needed and what cheaper materials can be substitute for most of the project. My my 16yr son and I will probably work on 2 of them as a father son bonding deal. ;D He has been helping me in the shop running the mill making tool blanks for my prosthetic tools. Seems that he is taking and interest in building stuff. I have a small cnc mill and lathe, so that will help on the multiple parts.

What are you using for barrels? Maybe a link to the liners you use, and the tubing.

Matt

very cool, and very illegal over here. :-[

my65pan said:
A father and son build? In that case I have two sets of blanks I'll send you if you don't mind covering the shipping costs. I plan to buy my barrel liners from Brownells(link below). The tubing is available from many sources, but it's probably best to find a supplier in your area to avoid shipping costs.

If Redman still sells them directly they should be a lot cheaper. They suggest using Brownell's but might be interested as they were when I bought 20+ liners some years ago. You can get a couple o the RGG barrels from each liner.

http://www.redmansrifling.com/available_liners.htm

vcutajar said:
Nice version of the RGG model.

I just finished my D&E version three months ago. Operational but non-firing (no firing pins and dummy barrels).

Just love the sight of polished brass.

Photos?

Do not have any photos on file. Will take a couple tomorrow before I go abroad.

my65pan

As promised a couple of photos of the D&E version.

DSCF0055.JPG

DSCF0057.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

DSCF0059.JPG

It looks like you're doing a great job on your Gatling gun.
I was approached by a fellow a couple of years ago at the NAMES show. He noticed from my name tag that I lived not far from him and asked me if he might stop over one day and that he had a project that he needed help with. He did stop over and showed me the drawings (old) for a Gatling gun.
I'm not sure which one it was but asked me if I would make some of the larger pieces as he was limited with his mill work.
I agreed to machine some of the parts for him and started to look at the drawings.
Now I have been in the machine/drawing trade for most of my working life and these drawings and design weren't thought out very well. To make the rear housing it has external and internal threads that leave about .025 metal between the roots of both threads.
I know a fellow that has several finished guns and he sent me some of the updated prints which helped a little. Someone had redone them in a solid modeling program and they were better but still had the original design issues.
Good luck on your project.
gbritnell

vcutajar said:
my65pan

As promised a couple of photos of the D&E version.

Wow, that looks very nice! I thought about buying the D&E plans just for the tripod drawings, but a friend offered to do the woodwork on the carriage so I'm going that route instead. Did you do the castings yourself?

I did not use any castings, everything from bar stock except four 3mm screws. Putting it on a carriage will look better than on a tripod. Most of the orignal gatlings where on carriages. I did not do the carriage because of all the woodwork involved. Maybe some day I might try to do the carriage.

gbritnell said:
It looks like you're doing a great job on your Gatling gun.
I was approached by a fellow a couple of years ago at the NAMES show. He noticed from my name tag that I lived not far from him and asked me if he might stop over one day and that he had a project that he needed help with. He did stop over and showed me the drawings (old) for a Gatling gun.
I'm not sure which one it was but asked me if I would make some of the larger pieces as he was limited with his mill work.
I agreed to machine some of the parts for him and started to look at the drawings.
Now I have been in the machine/drawing trade for most of my working life and these drawings and design weren't thought out very well. To make the rear housing it has external and internal threads that leave about .025 metal between the roots of both threads.
I know a fellow that has several finished guns and he sent me some of the updated prints which helped a little. Someone had redone them in a solid modeling program and they were better but still had the original design issues.
Good luck on your project.
gbritnell

Did the fellow ever get his done? Pictures?

No he hasn't finished it yet. I got all the pieces made for main housing area, the cascabel the end cap, the internals, well everything except the bolts. He like many of us has too many irons in the fire and he works on this project when he can.
gbritnell

kvom said:
Safe laws there -- the proof is that no one has ever held up a bank with a Gatling gun in the Netherlands. ;D :p

laws about guns are very strickt here, and strange too. excample, i collect antique blackpowder weapons. they are excluded from the law and free to have, replica's of the same weapons are not free to have and you have to get a permit for them. so my antique colt walker is free, replica isnt. a original gatling would be free too, replica, or working model like you build are illegal.
ow, i do have collectors permit and i am allowed modern weapons too, but it would still be illegal building a gatling like you are building.
strange laws............... ;D

your build is realy awesome. if you would have it tested and the barrels stamped that they are aproved i could buy it from you as collector item though.
Pascal

Pascal

besides the antiques i do have some modern weapons, but than the very strange,wierd ones, like totaly useless .50BMG rifle and rare WW1-2 stuff.

pcw said:
your build is realy awesome. if you would have it tested and the barrels stamped that they are aproved i could buy it from you as collector item though.
Pascal

Strange enough, I couldn't sell you this one if I wanted to. It's legal to build guns for ones own use, but you cannot build them to sell unless you have a mfg. license.
Mark

Mark,
Thank you very much. The parts came in, just as you said they would!
I spoke with Paul yesterday. The CD only has the parts shown as they should look. It has no dimensions. It is designed as an aid for people that have difficulty visualizing the parts from the plans.
Thanks again.
Fred

I could use some help from one of you guys that has CAD software. I need to plot the toolpath in one degree increments to cut the slot in the boxcam for this project. The slot starts at TDC and .925 from one end of the cam. The slot continues around the cam at the .925 position until 36 degrees, then I need to cut it diagonally to 2.100 inches from the end until it reaches the 162 degree mark in rotation. From there it remains at 2.100 until 210 degrees, then cuts back diagonally to the .925 position at 342 degrees. I hope this makes sense.
Can anyone help me out?

Picture a tube with a diagonal slot cutting it in half.

If you take your starting point from 36 degrees and go to 162 degrees you have 126 degrees so in 1* increments you have 126 steps. Now you need to go from .925 to 2.100 so the difference here is 1.175. Divide 1.175 by 126 and you get .0094 per 1* increment.
gbritnell

I CNC-ed my box cam, but probably still have the files stored somewhere. I did change the geometry a little to tweak the timing as somebody suggested however.

Thanks guys I sat down and wrote all of the positions out the other day, and cut the slot this morning.

000_2132.jpg

000_2134.jpg

Latest posts

Back