.22lr Gatling project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my65pan

Reaction score
I thought this may of interest to some of you. Below is a link to my thread regarding my Gatling gun project I've been working on for about a year now. That project got me interested in other technology from that era and that's how I wound up starting on my first steam engine and finding this forum.

http://www.gatlinggunforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=186

000_2020.jpg

Just finished reading your build
Fantastic :bow: :bow:
Pete

Awesome gun, awesome work all round. Looking forward to your engine builds.
:bow: :bow: :bow:
Brock

A guy I know has been fighting a legal battle for several years now, because he was observed (aka caught) at the range with M-16 components in his AR-15. He’s doing his best to fight it, but he still may end up doing some prison time. His AR-15 is incapable of firing in "automatic mode" with the M16 parts, but he was in clear violation of the law nonetheless.

I’m not trying to stick my nose in your business, and hopefully I’m telling you something that you already know – that the BATF will relentlessly pursue anyone who’s in violation of automatic weapons laws – without exception - even the hobbyist.

From one hobbyist to another – please be careful!

Entropy455 said:
A guy I know has been fighting a legal battle for several years now, because he was observed (aka caught) at the range with M-16 components in his AR-15. He’s doing his best to fight it, but he still may end up doing some prison time. His AR-15 is incapable of firing in "automatic mode" with the M16 parts, but he was in clear violation of the law nonetheless.

I’m not trying to stick my nose in your business, and hopefully I’m telling you something that you already know – that the BATF will relentlessly pursue anyone who’s in violation of automatic weapons laws – without exception - even the hobbyist.

From one hobbyist to another – please be careful!

Thanks for your concern, but hand cranked Gatlings of any caliber are perfectly legal to own and build(as far as the ATF is concerned, state laws may vary). They aren't considered a rifle, pistol, or automatic weapon, but rather a crew served weapon much like a cannon, which are also legal to build as long as they are muzzleloaders.
Now, if you connect the crankshaft to a motor, or even a steam engine then it is considered an automatic weapon. ;D

Keep us up to date on this. Thanks for sharing, and nice looking work too.

Really beautiful and well made gatling gun. But just as a general warning to any Canadians like myself. AFAIK you can buy the plans for these all you want, But it's illegal to have an operational one in Canaduh. Anybody that advises they are legal from the RCMP then I'd want that in writing and signed.

Pete

pete said:
Really beautiful and well made gatling gun. But just as a general warning to any Canadians like myself. AFAIK you can buy the plans for these all you want, But it's illegal to have an operational one in Canaduh. Anybody that advises they are legal from the RCMP then I'd want that in writing and signed.

Pete

I'm sure there are restrictions in other countries as well, thanks for the post.

Nice version of the RGG model.

I just finished my D&E version three months ago. Operational but non-firing (no firing pins and dummy barrels).

Just love the sight of polished brass.

Very nice! RG plans? I have one of those partway done as a very long-term project.

Very Nice!

A machinist I used to work with built one and gave me a copy of the plans
for helping him find octagon barrels for it.

22LR cartridges are pretty cheap but you can still burn up a lot of money
quickly shooting one of those.

Thanks for the post!

Rick

Awesome! Just sitting here on a Saturday afternoon watching a Son's of Guns marathon on the TV, and came a cross this thread! That must be a sign for another project for me not to finish if I never seen one before. :big:

How are the plans to follow? Can it all be built from bar stock? Even the barrels?

Matt

Rifling barrels is tough.

I buy barrel blanks from Numrich Gun Parts Corporation.
(Subject to availability.)

If you have a gun that needs repair parts they probably have those parts is stock.
Just click the Find Parts tab on their site and look up your gun.

Rick

1hand said:
Awesome! Just sitting here on a Saturday afternoon watching a Son's of Guns marathon on the TV, and came a cross this thread! That must be a sign for another project for me not to finish if I never seen one before. :big:

How are the plans to follow? Can it all be built from bar stock? Even the barrels?

Matt

The plans aren't hard to follow, everything I've done so far is from bar stock. My barrels will be made from barrel blanks soldered into 1/2" tubing and them machined.

Just got off the phone from ordering a set of plans from Paul at RGG. Heck of a nice fellow to talk with. ;D

Thx I did see them on there. Will probably start with materials I have here. Will hold off on most of the brass parts for now and use 12L14 and aluminum for most parts to start with. Seems like it takes me at least 3 trys at most things to get them right$$$$ ;D

My Gatling started out as a group project with some guys at work. We were going to make 6 of them, but everyone else sort of petered out on me. I have a couple of sets of bolt carrier block and barrel plate blanks made from 17-4 left if they will help you get started. Also a breech plate blank with the bushing already installed.
PM me if you are interested.

000_2088.jpg

Latest posts

Back