2" Fowler progress - Cylinder completed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
The purchase of a new rotary table has allowed me to complete the last few bits on the fowler cylinder that I have been working on for the last couple of months. Quite a relief to get to the end of a major item with no broken drills or taps, helped no doubt by the quality of MJ Eng's castings which were all clean and flawless.

A few views of the finished casting
Cyl1.jpg

Cyl2.jpg

Cyl3.jpg

The port faces still require lapping but I'm happy that all the steam passages ended up in the right place.
Cyl4.jpg

Cyl5.jpg

The front cover was straight forward turning of the CI blank, the decorative cover was my first go at spinning, rather pleased with the way it turned out (22swg steel over a hardwood former)
Frontcylcover.jpg

The rear cover was one of the first jobs for the div head/RT, all seems to fit well with parallel bars
Rearcylcover.jpg

Valve chest cover is just a bit of 1/8" steel with the etched plate from MJ soft soldered into place, the regulator cover had the square hole cast in so that bit was easy
chestcovers.jpg

The valve rod was machined from a length of 5/8 rod, plenty of swarf as the threaded end is only 5BA
Valverod.jpg

Regrod.jpg

And here it is all put together
Cylinder1.jpg

Cylinder3.jpg

Cylinder4.jpg

Cylinder5.jpg

Jason

Beautiful work, Jason.

It looks just like a full-sized prototype - a genuine compliment for your modeling skills.

great work Jason, you're a master :bow:

forgive my ignorance, what type of engine is a 'fowler'? a steam engine, I presume...

Jason ,

What can I say, but, 'WOW' ...... STUNNING ....
and it has a Leeds Plaque too (I was raised in Seacroft, Leeds)
as soon as I saw the Plaque I got a big grin going on lol

Regards
Andy

ariz,
A fowler is a Steam powered traction engine. Sorry to answer a question not directed to me.
EB

Jason,

That's a really nice piece of machining on a complex casting. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Jason,
Really wonderful work.
Dennis

very nice, do you have a picture of a complete fowler, or know where to direct me to one so I can grasp where the parts go that you have shown.
I am new to steam but very interested.
I picked up materials to build a 2" dia. 6" L boiler just today.
-B-

Well Done!

Those holes sure look tricky!...nice drills too! ;D

Dave

By golly, that's a good looking job of it, Jason! Quite a nice looking casting you're working on too.
It looks like you've got a fair portion of your lifetime's worth of drilling and tapping completed in this one piece.
Fine work.

Dean

Thanks for all the comments, this is what it should look like when finished, 36" long.

If you are interested the other bits are in this album

Jason

That's very well done Jason - love the detail on it :bow:

Arnold

Wow Jason. Took a look at the links.
That's going to be beautiful.
The front door is great and the gears are awesome.
That's just a great job.

Hi Jason

Iv not been on mine for a few mouths but I'm back on it now don't you just get feed up of plate work cylinder looks good mines a bookend at the min in primer going to make a start on it soon after iv got all the tender formers all done in cad and laser cut out.

the pic iv put up is about a year out of date all the gearing is in and the cylinder is the big bit just behind the chimney

DSCF1363.1.JPG

DSCF1363.1.JPG

Latest posts

Back