2.7 cc I2 petrol with old lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cr4k3r

Mechanic
Reaction score
Hello again guys, i'm back with a "new" old lathe that i reconditioned how i could. It's not very great but it does the job with a bit of care.

I want to make an Inline 2 4-stroke low compression engine, crank at 315 degrees, with mechanical injectors and water cooled (if possible, ill try), here is my progress till now. I wanted to make a 3 cyl engine...but with my tools...its harsh allready with 2 cyl engine, i made a 3rd piston for a check but i screwed up at the end and abandon the 3 cyl ideea, for the moment.

SORRY FOR MY DIRTY AND DAMAGED HANDS, i rely on them very much because i like doing manually all the things :-[, i just finished the second piston and rod. I don't have a mill, so i will make this engine 80% with the lathe, 20% with files and a bit of improvising. I didn't decide how's the timing gonna come...chain, pushrods or belt...that will be a challenge on this small size. More than that i want to make it with oil and water pump...again, something a bit hard. I am a motorcycle mechanic for a long time so i don't worry about the technical data or "how it will work". I want to make something new with all advantages i saw on them all this years and a personal new design and calculations. The piston and rod are made from "chromium" from a tool i didn't use in my garage and the connecting pin is made from an alloy with brass in it, its put together with pressure in the piston, the rod moves freerly on the pin (not that free...but enough not to play). The pistons will not have piston rings, but at thermal expansion will be fit but not that fit on the cylinder (just an ideea), that means it will consume far more on startup ( if it will start :) ).

Some pictures with my lathe (Karger Berlin 0., i didnt find any reviews on this model on the internet) and my work untill now.

Thank you guys. Any suggestions and questions are welcome. :hDe:

20171022_143650.jpg

20171022_143702.jpg

20171022_143718.jpg

20171022_143807.jpg

20171022_143831.jpg

20171022_143849.jpg

20171022_150524.jpg

Yes, the smaller i get, the unforgivable happens. In my mind i want to make a very small, realible petrol injected engine...i thought i spend less time because they are small, and use much less material on it. I was wrong, i spend double the time and wasted a lot more material on screwups, though i like the challenges.

The ignition will be a piezo crystal for both sparkplugs...i will think about the striking method when im done with the rest. I hope the materials wont fail...they are quite fragile on this size, but then again...its just a smaller engine with a calculated compression of 5 max at thermal expansion and lets say 4 on cold start, i just want to make a small scale motorcycle that starts, accelerates and nothing more...with all the controls and stuff, but stationary (maybe...just maybe a variometric transmission just to get the back wheel spin in the air). Next engine will be from more advanced materials and RC it maybe, who knows :) .

Untill the end of the project i will have a big box full of failures...i allready have a smaller one full of pistons, rods and pins :hDe: . Surprisingly for me...my files saved me a lot of times with the corrections.

Thanks and ill post pics as soon i make another part -> crankshaft next. :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back