1889 Welch & Lawson Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. I got my engine running :bow:. It is running with a sparkplug for now. I will work on the flame ignition later. show season is just about here and I would like to have this engine running. Work just keeps slowing this project down. Here is a video of the first start. Tom

Here is the second try after some adjusting. But something is just not right.

Here is the third running. Whats that noise that knock, knock, knock, knock is the rod lose no is the piston hitting the head no then what is it oh the crank throw is loose on the crank shaft. what a poor design on my behalf back to the drawing board.

That is one big chunk of engine:- excelent work :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Stew

Congratulations Tom !! :bow: :bow: She seems to be running very well and from the look of things steady as a rock too!! Should get lots and lots of attention at the shows also.

Bill

It seems to be balanced quite nicely. I didn't notice any shaking in the cart it is mounted to. What a piece of work!
gbritnell

It should run pretty smooth with a flywheel that heavy.
Be careful you don't overspeed a flywheel that big in diameter.
Lots of speed and force on the rim of that thing.

Heck of an engine, I like it.

Pat J

Tom
Will you have this engine at the Pawnee show?
Another great build!
Don

Congratulations Tom. :bow: :bow:

To me its a perfect runner. Beautiful engine and what is it big! Like it a lot...just one problem....how do you put it on top of your fireplace ???

Enjoy the success, regards Jeroen

Thanks guys.
Don I plan on bringing this engine and a few more stop by and say hi.
Jeroen you dont put a engine like this on your fireplace you replace your fireplace with it :big
Here is a picture of the new crank throw compared to the old. I believe this will fix that knock. Tom
100_2583.jpg

Stole my comment !! Didn't realize how LARGE that was till Tom was standing next to it !! :bow: :bow:

Mike

Wow, Tom, truly another hallmark project. The things you do with steel amaze me. By the way, how did you use a jig of some kind to split the pipe for the base? I want to do something similar for my radial engine base and just wondered how you got it so even.

Chuck

Chuck I just sawed the pipe as close as I could to size then welded the 4 peices together to make a box. Then put it up on the mill and trued it up. The miter cuts took a little thinking to set them up. If you need some help with this part let me know and I will take some pictures. It was a little tricky. Tom

Hi guys. I built a cart, water tank,fuel tank and installed the new crank throw. Here are some pictures and a video of it running out in the sun for the first time. most of the noise you here is the gears. I don't think they like each other.The big gear I found and the little gear I built The big gear is 8.5 pitch ??? and I just ground a tool bit close and put it in a fly cutter and went to cutting the crank gear.Maybe they will learn to get along with each other. This engine has kicked my a$$. Tom
100_2584.jpg

100_2595.jpg

100_2588.jpg

Very nice job! Top notch fabrication, and a good runner ;D

IronHorse

Tom, that is very nice, I love it. How is the body and base finished, Paint?
Really sweet.
Great job!

John

Lots of work, I'm sure, but you sure have a nice show piece there!

Chuck

Very nice. I could sit and watch it all night. John

Very nice. Looks great and runs well.
Gail in NM

Latest posts

Back