1889 Welch & Lawson Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a brilliant idea using halved pipe for an elegantly curved base. By the way, does the welch and lawson have any connection to the modern kirby lawson? or is that lauson?

Thanks guys. I do appreciate your support.
Kustumkb If I get this done before winter is over I plain on just setting in front of the fireplace with my comp. and watch you guys build. ;D
Compspecial Lawson and Lauson was two different company's. There is little known of Samuel Lawson after 1900.
Here is some pictures of the outer crankshaft support.
101_1872.jpg

101_1875.jpg

101_1878.jpg

101_1879.jpg

I wish I could in-vision making parts like you do! Really remarkable truly.

Matt

Hi Tom. You must have a good saw in your shop ;D

Truly impressive work you are showing, it's a great build 2 follow. It will be a beauty!

Regards Jeroen

Thanks Matt, Jeroen
Jeroen I have a 1316 swivel Wellsaw that is a pleasure to use.I have never regretted buying it.
Work has pick up and slowed the work on this engine but I have managed to get a little done.
000_0002.jpg

000_0003.jpg

Is is another of your built up flywheel designs. If so could you share a couple of pictures. WOW looking good.

Thanks Rick and Rustranch
The flywheel is the real deal. I found it at a gas engine show and had to have it.It is cast iron and weighs 124 lbs. 30 inch dia.

Really nice work Tom! I did not realize the engine would be so big! Think my wife will be very unhappy if I try to put this kind of scale models in our livingroom ;D

Regards Jeroen

The weather got bad and work slowed up so I'm back to work on this engine. Here is a picture of the parts that make up the cylinder.The liner is welded to the head then the water jacket is slid over it and welded to the head and the coolent in and out bosses are welded to the outside of the water jacket
100_2509.jpg

after the welding
100_2514.jpg

after turning and grinding
100_2515.jpg

Gotta say, Tom. It would be hard to top your ambition and raw skill. Hat's off to ya, man!

Chuck

Truly amazing welding and finishing skills Tom. The flywheel seems a perfect fit too in size and design.

Bill

Just perfect Tom! :bow: :bow:

Your local grindingdisk supplier must be a happy man :big:

Looking forward to new posts!

Regards Jeroen

Thanks guys
Here is some more pictures. The first one shows the parts that will have the valve in them for the carry flame and the fuel & air intake.
100_2522.jpg

The valve housing asymbled.
100_2525.jpg

100_2535.jpg

Standing over 4 foot tall.
100_2532.jpg

Hi guys. Just an up date. I have most of the parts rough built and now its time to disassemble it and finish the parts. I am going to build a cart to mount it on and assemble it on it. Here is some pictures of what it looks like now. Tom
100_2562-1.jpg

100_2564.jpg

100_2567.jpg

Thanks for the update Tom. Still amazing work! Do you have any idea of its final weight yet?

Regards,
Bill

Bill I have it all apart now so I weighed the parts and it came to 365 lbs. ::) Tom

Hi Tom
I love it
its unique and lovely
Pete

Hmmmmm....I agree, a cart is definitely in order :)

Bill

Latest posts

Back