1.75 x 3.5 x 3 under progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deckel

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a compound steam engine I started a while ago.
Few specs before the pictures;
Hp cylinder bore : 1.75"
Lp cylinder bore : 3.5"
Stroke : 3"
Designed for 500 rpm.
No casting, steel and bronze construction.
Needle or roller bearing where possible, assembled crank.
Valve design from Ray H. #10 (single cylinder column engine), rest of it is home designed.
Machinery used are an Atlas 10" lathe and a Deckel FP1 milling.

Most pictures were taken after some more assembly could be done, not much "how to" picture.
(thanks to people who does it, I simply never think of it while machining)

The build is going good, tonight it moved under air pressure for the very first time (quick check after valve timming)

Here it is !

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Deckel,

That's one very nice serious engine :bow:

Is it for a launch or something, or did you just build and design it for the hell of it ??? not that its relevant, just curious. :D

Best Regards
Bob

That's a gurt big 'un you have there, Deckel. Are you going to use it for some serious power, or, is it just to impress the ladies? ; )

Dean

Same questions here. What are your plans for it.
And it sure would be nice if a video of it running could be made.
It's a beautiful build.

I believe the intent was for a steam launch....Deckel I believe we know eachother ;D

Deckel, please tell us about yourself....we'll see if I'm right :D

NICE WORK!!

Dave

Wow................very nice...

Funny...35 years ago that expression was saved for the ladies....god...I am gettin old...:)

Hehe, Ladies of my age (23) aren't much impress by those chunk of steel leaking oil on which we spend all our spare time...
Wish some of them were !

This is my 4th steam engine;
first one was a single acting wobbler 0.5" bore, build with less than nothing -press drill/hammer/bigger hammer- but turned out to run pretty well
second one was a double acting single cylinder slide valve 1" bore (pretty much the first project I did when I got my mill)
third one was a double acting compound wobbler (of which I posted pictures here)
Those 3 engines were of my own design and much closer to model engine than my 1.75x3.5x3
Even this one was originally thought to be much smaller but thanks to Steamer who convinced me to make it a "full size" engine and for all his advices.
And he is right, the goal is to make a steam launch 20-25' long. - hopefully this one will impress ladies ;D

Still few parts to be made before it's ready to go ;pumps, condenser, some wood work and more pockets for lightweightness, not mentioning the boiler-ouch!-

Maxime

oh absolutely! Chicks dig steamboats.....well....some of them :big: ;D

Dave

Deckel,
That's one beautiful engine you've made. :bow:

Dave,
oh absolutely! Chicks dig steamboats.....well....some of them

The chicks we want to meet anyway :big:

Cheers,
Phil

YUP! Told my chicky babe I was building a steamboat and she married me anyway!

She's a "keepa"! :big:

Dave

Here is a video of it running on compressed air at 40 psi but with a 1/4 air hose (try running breathing through a straw...)
Works ok, can't find where the little ka-klunk sound comes from, you can hear it a bit during the second half of the video
I used a 5" lathe chuck as a fly wheele (looks big but pretty light, maby too light...) and yes the air inlet is held with 45 wraps of electrical tape, sorry for that.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgy-uUmCpg[/ame]

Latest posts

Back