1/4 Scale Benz Engine (Inch) Model

Help Support HMEM:

Ken Brunskill

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Attached is the 1st three (3) part designed for an 1/4 Scale Benz Engine Model. I am choosing this scale because I have a nice 6 1/2 Diameter Flywheel already, also because my wife & I are planning to move to a Sr Living Apartment in another few years, making size a factor.

Looking for some comments and insights on the fabrication, being a fair welder in possession of a Miller Econo Arc/Tig welder, I am considering replicating what would normally be castings with weldments, I don't see that as a particularly difficult hurdle, yet the choice of materials, and of course cost needs consideration. So look for the collective wisdom of you my peers.

The 3D model and drawings are being created in Solidworks 2020-2021 Student Version (Being a veteran allows one to get that super powerful program for $20/year!)

Attachments

Ken Brunskill

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Update on material & fabrication process criteria:

Have decided on using schedule 80 pipe for the Head, Cylinder & Bearing Base. Cost and process is far better with steel than aluminum @2X the cost, or stainless @4X the cost. Simple enough fabrication with TIG welding, plus any consideration of wear makes steel superior to aluminum.

Latest posts