1/3 Scale Austin Seven Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top Stuff Rob!
Pete

Amazing work. This is going to be a really nice looking engine when its finished, shame most of the detail will be hidden away inside.
I just hope that you have a 1/3 scale austin racer planned to put in into...

Rob. :)

The 2 bearing motor was used a lot for racing in the 750cc class. Reason for this is that crank ran in roller bearings. Yes they snapped very easily. You can purchase a crank now that has been machined from a billet. Expensive but seems to last a lot longer.

About 1930 Austin changed the crankshaft to a 3 bearing white metal but these were not favoured by the race crowd as it has more friction than the 2 bearing roller crank.

Rob you have done a great job on the head. Next step is to make a twin OHC version. (just kidding)]

The three bearing crank came a bit later than you suggest, mid 30's.

It was not the friction that caused a problem, but the fact that to squeeze the centre bearing in, the designers had to pinch metal from other areas to make space.
The centre bearing was a split shell type, once these start to wear and the crank flexes, then they are even weaker than the two bearing type and breakages were common.
I have a modern two bearing Phoenix crank in mine. it weighs 1½ times what the original Austin one does due to beefed up webs.

Phil

PS Fantastic work on the model engine by the way.

Here it is with the head on and a pencil for scale.

Rob

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Wow thats some nice work. at this size and beside a pencil
are you building a gas powered pencil charpenerRof}

All I can say is wow :eek:

Dave

Truly beautiful work!!!th_confused0052th_confused0052

Ron

Hey Rob,
This engine is wonderful, I even sent the link to my boss who is into British cars and has a 32 or 36 MG don't remember what year.
Art

Hello Rob.
I have no words to express my admiration for this work, you are really an artist.
I`m inpressed with the details (date codes PN and son on) I wish to have at least a small percent of yor metal work machining skills.
Just for curiosity. Are you using any CNC help? Did you produced any drawing of this project.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Edi

It was suggested you make the Twin Cam engine next - someone's beaten you to it here in England, the complete car, and it makes a fantastic noise when running!!!

Rob,

My bosses car is a 31, direct competitor of the Austin 7.

Art

Smashing job there Rob.

Will you be including the 1/3 scale oil leak between the block and crankcase as per most full size engines ?;D

Phil

Latest posts

Back