Yes, another Liney Halo

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip85

Reaction score
Today I managed to grab a little machine time woohoo1 so I made a start on my first engine (so bear with me).
After blocking up I started on the cylinder heads, I didn't have the camera with me but here's a few snaps of what i got done.
SDC10360.jpg

SDC10354.jpg

SDC10356.jpg

SDC10349.jpg

Sadly i couldn't finish all of them but theres always tomorrow!

Woody,

I too am going thru the Halo build, but I am making 6 versions.

It would really pay you to get rigged up with a vice stop on your mill.

This is my elaborate one, but a bit of bent plate and threaded rod will do just as well. If you look at the first pic, you can just see my old stop that has served me for years.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1007.0

What you would then do is set up and drill one hole, then put another part in, and drill the same hole. Repeat for each hole in the head. That way you are not having to continually set up for each head, and they all get finished at the same time.

Blogs

Thanks blogs, I think ill using a stop for the rest of them Thm:, I should have them done in no time, then i can hopefully start on the cam housing and crankcase, id like to do the cylinders before them but im having a few problems with the lathe so the turning has had to stop :(, oh well plenty of other bits to do.

Welcome to the Halo club!

Before starting more drilling, you might like to check the valve holes. Drop one of the steel balls into the hole, and then slide a piece of 1/8" rod down the plunger hole to show that the ball moves opening the valve. Getting the depth right has been my problem with the valves, and I'm on my second set for that reason.

Bogs has it right about using the vise stop. My strategy has been to drill all of the holes on each head that need the same drill bit without changing. So I spot drilled every hole on every head first, then all the #43 holes, then all the #50 holes, etc.

Latest posts

Back