X2 mill - xy table problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

IMG_0104sm.jpg

IMG_0105sm.jpg

After thinking about locktite and small set screws, I finally adapted some washers to stop the bearing races from spreading apart when reversing direction with the lead screw. I have less than .010" worth of slop in the screw now. I wish it was zero, but I didn't pay enough to reach that number. This was a free fix.

I placed a thick washer on the spindle first to take up all the room at the head of the threads, I had to search for quite a while to find the second washer. It's a very thin stainless steel, and I got lucky that some simple touch up with a round file was all it needed to be a sliding fit on the shaft. The whole mess was then compressed in a vise and the gib key was pressed back in the shaft to keep it tight.

/what have others here done to correct the spreading of the bearings on these shafts?

Kermit

You could install a regular trust bearing, change the diameter of the spheres to accommodate one more and have less voids or maybe remove one sphere and place some brass or nylon spacers between the remaining to keep them apart :hDe:

Capture.png

It's part number 13 on the diagram. The parts lists shows a quantity of 2, so that's probably the bearing I'm refering too. The two races on the inside of the bore; the ones back to back with the convex races facing out toward either opening, are stuck in place. I would have to set up a pressing rig of some sort and press them out.

It seems to me the outer races; the ones that are spreading apart, would be pressed on the same way as the other sides. Both complete bearings, probably being pressed on the shaft, and then that assembly is pressed into the bored hole in the cast end piece. Or something similar to such as that. No one else has encountered this problem or perhaps run across the subject somewhere in their surfing? Any directions to someone elses solution would be welcome. Or is this a one in a million problem?

Kermit

IMG_0108sm.jpg

IMG_0107sm.jpg

I guess I'm the first one in a world of 5 billion individuals to have this problem...or maybe the first one to post about it. ::) The Y axis got the same fix. Some choice washers applied.

So there it is all fixed up. Problem solved. Aren't you glad?

Thanks,
Kermit

Back