Wyvern Engine Ignition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbay

Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend sources for suitable coil and capacitor components for a petrol driven E.T. Westbury Wyvern engine? Nothing fancy, no piezo or magneto systems and preferably a capacitor that looks old style rather than a piece of Lego.

I would imagine any ignition would suit as one has a massive great box underneath to house stuff like that.
As an example, I have an Atkinson with external points and a 0.47uF 630v polypropylene cap in a separate box with the power switch.

Actually, the ignition system I currently posted (with points) was originally meant exactly for engines such as yours. ( no points capacitor required)
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/model-engine-cdi-easy-and-cheap.31128/

Last edited:
robbay, I'm in the process of making a ignition system. I haven't tried it fully yet, but if it works it will be something you may want. I found a high voltage kit with a coil on eBay and got some to test. I also made a driver for it. I'm doing electronic development for a living, so that's up my ally anyways. I have built a FarmBoy hit'n miss engine I will use it on. I ran it with a car coil and a electronic buzz ignition PICTIM. However, it died after a while. Think the big car coil killed it.
The driver I made is a "Buzz" type. Like that for a model engine with limited control of the mix. You get several attempts to light the mixture without having to know you are a bit off.
The coil I got is very small. If it's powerful enough it will be a nice model engine coil. Makes nice sparks in free air. Can be used with points or any driver of cause. Costs nearly nothing. I will test it within a couple of days and post a thread on it if it works.

BTW. The CDI system bluejets has made a write up on looks very nice. I got one of these ignition sets, but didn't get it working without wiring diagram.

Rudy

coil.jpg

Ignition hoockup.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies Rudy and bluejets, the use of a separate box containing battery, coil and capacitor is a last resort. I would like to restore the engine to a configuration similar to that used by the original builder having a coil and capacitor mounted on the baseboard. If a suitable type of coil and capacitor are no longer available, a separate box will be used with modern components but my preference is to restore using old looking components.
Hopefully someone in the model engine community will know where to source these components or if not, will be able to specify new purchasable components that will produce an appropriate spark. Despite having scraped a pass in 'A' level physics, my knowledge of electronics is zip and though I can solder wires together, for me, circuit diagrams may as well be written in Sanskrit. I just want to buy the bits, connect them and see a spark before moving on to the mysteries of fuel supply.
Thanks in anticipation.

Thank you for the replies Rudy and bluejets, the use of a separate box containing battery, coil and capacitor is a last resort. I would like to restore the engine to a configuration similar to that used by the original builder having a coil and capacitor mounted on the baseboard. If a suitable type of coil and capacitor are no longer available, a separate box will be used with modern components but my preference is to restore using old looking components.
Hopefully someone in the model engine community will know where to source these components or if not, will be able to specify new purchasable components that will produce an appropriate spark. Despite having scraped a pass in 'A' level physics, my knowledge of electronics is zip and though I can solder wires together, for me, circuit diagrams may as well be written in Sanskrit. I just want to buy the bits, connect them and see a spark before moving on to the mysteries of fuel supply.
Thanks in anticipation.

I've seen engines such as yours displayed on a "base box" the idea being coils etc were concealed below and this is what I was referring to initially.
Point about my capacitor being mounted in a "switch box" was it is not necessary to have the capacitor in a Kettering system mounted right on the points.
Anywhere is fine so long as it connects across the points wiring, hence no need for "antiquated capacitor" .

Points capacitors are hard enough to come by as it is let alone antique looking units.
Friend of mine just paid AU$18.00 for one before I had time to show him a 50cent alternative.

Did you take a look at my posting by any chance?
Attached similar engine on a base box with all the ignition parts ( excluding the points) housed internally.

Enclosed is an example.............granted , the aligator clip etc. is a bit rude BUT......
WYVERN b.jpg

Hello bluejets,
Thank you for your reply, I did read the connected attachment to your reply and looked at your impressive engine photograph. In my last reply I searched for a way to add a photo from "my pictures" to illustrate the original arrangement on the Wyvern but failed, with each attempt asking for the URL of the photo and since the photo is on my computer I was stumped.
How do you add photos to a post on HMEM ?
If I can't replicate the original arrangement using purchased components then I will use modern bits and hide them.

The simplest way to add pictures from your own computer is simply to 'drag and drop' them into your post. Open a window with your images, click and hold on one of them and drag it onto your post. It will appear at the bottom of your post and when you want to insert it into text you hit the button next to it. Have a go, you'll see what I mean.

Thanks Cogsy , couldn't be simpler when you know how.

The photo shows the coil and condenser that I would like to replicate. The wires were disconnected and in bad shape and I replaced them, hopefully in the right way. I plan to remove the connector block and replace with a two pin plug from the battery.

IMG_3548.JPG

Hi Robbay,
See what you are trying to get at and I'm fairly sure there are a couple of different sources for coils etc. still around.
Maybe make that connector block a ceramic one for originality.....:):)

Found a box full of original connectors and plug adaptors off the old '52 FJ Holdens in Dad's spares cupboard the other day...could be worth a few bob. ;)

Perhaps try the JE Howell site .......
http://www.model-engine-plans.com/partskits/ignitionsystems/coil.htm

another here.....
http://www.springmillsmfg.com/model-airplaine-ignition-coils.html

however cannot vouch as to if they are still working or not.

Have seen others as well on the web, just have to surf a bit I guess.

P.S. Doesn't look like your wiring is correct either....o_Oo_O

Should be like below......

Kettering_Ign.jpg

Last edited:
Hello bluejets,
We have ignition!
I had the wiring wrongly connected. Best of all I retried the original components and they work so my search for replacements is over.
Lift off may be tomorrow.
Thanks for your help,
Rob

Back