ID of unknown engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffy

Reaction score
G'Day All,
I was given this engine by someone who found it when cleaning out an old shed. It was covered in dried fuel/oil & years of dust.
A few questions about it please.
1. Does anyone know the name/manufacturer of this engine? The only identification on it is a hand engraved "New Era". (see photo).
2. What is the correct type of fuel to use in this engine? (2 stroke sparky)
3. With regard to spark timing; Could the approximate spark timing be given for an initial start.
4. I have an ignition system in a box that is used for much larger model engines (e.g. hit & miss), that consists of an automotive coil, condenser etc. Can this be used as the ignition components for this engine?
Grateful for any information.
Regards,
Don.
IMG_1480.jpeg
IMG_1481.jpeg
IMG_1482.jpeg
IMG_1483.jpeg

I don't know this model, of an aero vintage 2 stroke sparky..
what is its size, it looks rather large according to the propeller 254x102.
il you feel a good compression and the engine runs freely, yes he will start again.
you can test the cam and point with a little battery an a light bulb, an set the contact breaker for the light bulb to be switched off at TDC when the engine runs CCW . then the proper angle of the spark will be found easily on running.
And yes the coil and condenser you already have will do it.
the recommended fuel is plain gasoline from the pump with up to 20% engine oil, yes that high !
if this coil leads to arcing, their are many other possibilities.
you may see several 2 stroke sparkies of my own brew running on my you tube channel

and with an engine that large , the noise would be penetrating, the neighbours may ask...

il you feel a good compression and the engine runs freely, yes he will start again.
you can test the cam and point with a little battery an a light bulb, an set the contact breaker for the light bulb to be switched off at TDC when the engine runs CCW . then the proper angle of the spark will be found easily on running.
the recommended fuel is plain gasoline from the pump with up to 20% engine oil, yes that high !
you may see several 2 stroke sparkies of my own brew running on my you tube channel

and with an engine that large , the noise would be penetrating, the neighbours may ask...

Thank you Gideon for your information.
The engine has approx. 8,4 cc capacity & now that it has had new gaskets made has very good compression.
Once the electrics are organised it should be a goer.
Regards,
Don.

Looks great 👍

Dave

as you know, that engine has breaker points (well one point, right) and a lever to adjust timing - a simple thing to do is to hook it up to a ignition coil and cap, spin the prop, move it a bit and repeat until it starts, or at least fires. once it starts and keeps running you can move the lever to the proper timing - too far retarded and it will over heat and it will sound labored, too far advanced and it will sound "sharp". a lot of engines run a few deg befor TDC, the amount of advance is a function of RPM.

Latest posts

Back