• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB ballscrew for x2 mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sk8Ter

Reaction score
Hello looking for a ballscrew/nut for my X2 mill

I am not converting to cnc just want ballscrew for zerobacklash

I also need nema 23 motor mount for the x2

what i am doing is trying to put together an X axis power feed with no backlash so i can climb mill

I have a controller driver all in one from Ebay that i can control a stepper motor...

Thanks
Lawrence

http://www.roton.com/Mating_Components.aspx?family=7059321

Mcmaster carr 5966K16 ball nut $29.90 and 5966K55 2ft ball screw. 37.30.

the mounting bracket you can make yourself.
and you will also need anti backlash coupler . IIRC a couple of spring washers and a thrust bearing. also avaialable from mc master carr.

you will loose manual feed acuracy. an off the shelf x -2 you get 0.050 feed per turn of the handle. with a ball screws listed it is like .200 per turn.

Also climb milling can be tricky and dangerous, so much so it is was a prohibited practice in U. S. Air Force Machining Tech school. granted used Bridgeport mills. I would be lying if i said i never did climb milling on my x-2 . But I only climb mill with it on light finish cuts. So be careful be safe.
Tin

Last edited:
http://www.roton.com/Mating_Components.aspx?family=7059321

Mcmaster carr 5966K16 ball nut $29.90 and 5966K55 2ft ball screw. 37.30.

the mounting bracket you can make yourself.
and you will also need anti backlash coupler . IIRC a couple of spring washers and a thrust bearing. also avaialable from mc master carr.

you will loose manual feed acuracy. an off the shelf x -2 you get 0.050 feed per turn of the handle. with a ball screws listed it is like .200 per turn.

Also climb milling can be tricky and dangerous, so much so it is was a prohibited practice in U. S. Air Force Machining Tech school. granted used Bridgeport mills. I would be lying if i said i never did climb milling on my x-2 . But I only climb mill with it on light finish cuts. So be careful be safe.
Tin

Thanks for the information i am/was trying to do this economically....

as far as climb milling there should be no issues when ballscrews with zero backlash...am i missing something?

Lawrence

IMHO climb milling is kind of like carbide best done on rigid full size machines with plenty of power. many folks prefer it on cnc machines. You will have a cnc power feed. on a light machine. I am not telling you not to do it but use caution. In climb milling the cutter can feed itself into the work. the cutter can suck itself into the work take larger than normal bites and break the cutter or tear it out of the holder.
in conventional milling feed forces and cutting forces appose each other . so the cutter tends to push away from the work piece and less little chance of digging in. In general if something slips or moves you want the cutter to mvoe away from the work not dig in.
Tin

Thanks for the information i am/was trying to do this economically....

Both vendors have several options I gave the economical ones. the 5/8 size seems to be the cheapest.
Tin

Hey Tin what are you using for the X axis?

likes ?dislikes?

Lawrence

I need to get the ball screws for the x and y . I am using the McMaster Carr one for my Z. Aparenly it is a bit tight getting a 5/8 ball screw in an x-2 but they will fit a they are cheaper than 3/8 or 1/2.the downside of the mc master ball screw is the pitch is odd itis .203 per revolution rather than an even .200. if you are programing a cnc it will do the math ad doesnot matter.
Tin

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back