Workshop-Horizontal surfaces and the Magpie syndrome

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldte

Reaction score
Hi All, I felt i should write this mainly because since joining (all of 3 days) i have developed an inferior complex, this started whilst viewing the various pages until i came upon photos of other peoples workshops (very clean and uncluttered) this caused me great consternation and i went to my workshop and looking round was completely envious of some of you guys out there.Then followed a period of recrimination (self) and a good look at what i had created(very loose term) ,Every Horizontal surface of which there are many and of any size was full of !!! not really sure what to call it just everything,then the roof ,I counted at least 40 plus nails /hooks with a myriad of items hanging down and i felt no supprise that on numerous occasions something had dropped on my head..This analysis made me decide to do a fit-over ; Now the problem is as most will be aware that after a life time of DIY/ Numerous Hobbies / and in my case a Boat and Helping the Kids you acquire Stuff that is too good to throw away(all ways a good excuse ).Therefore the question is how do you decide what to dump when it is a proven fact after-wards you will require it within a week. and you have not the room for an aircraft hanger ?
regards coldte

Learn to live with it Coldte - throwing stuff out is not an option.

Coldte - Be Strong - You are not alone....
workshop.jpg

Mark

Yeah, the reason those neat-freaks post their shops is to feel superior to those of us with more ... valuable stuff ... ;D ;D ;D

I don't throw either, its two hour round trip to get something where I live, that puts the fire out a project when I have to run to town, a fellow came to shop one day to get something done for free and I furnish the material, he looked in the shop and said, "it look like a cave", I said it is and not safe for the public to enter, done with him, I will strive to have a neat, clean and everthing in it place some day, Lathe Nut

I try to keep my benches clean but it never works for long, (even with a 25 x 25 foot shed). As far as throwing stuff out, about 10 years ago I made myself clean up and throw out any stuff that I hadn't used in the past 10-15 years. It was not even a month latter when I could have done with one of the things I through out, and have been many other things since. I now keep everything and only through out real rubbish.
Dave

A clean workshop means you either have too much time on your hands or are somehow defective.

Coldte...
Truth being told, most of those shop photos were taken right after a cleaning frenzy...LOL. Most of us are guilty of having tools everywhere when a project is going at full tilt. I sometimes have to stop mid project and put things away just to be able to get anything else done. The next clean up is usually when the project is finished.

My shop is sheet rocked, walls and ceiling, but I often envy those who have all that additional overhead space to use for storage.... at least until it's above 95°F and the overhead insulation proves its worth.

As long as the work area is safe and the health department is content to leave you alone, work within your own comfort zone. If that means an immaculate shop, great... but few of us actually have one that could double as a clean room.

No advice on the accumulation part. I have a tough time deciding what can be thrown out too. One tip.... the shelving used for canned goods in grocery stores can be had cheaply from those who deal in store fixtures. Heavy duty stuff. One of mine is supporting about 2500 pounds of metal stock at the moment.

I also have a couple of wire bakers racks that I got from Sam's Wholesale Club that are mobile, adjustable and not all that expensive. They work great for storage ranging from small parts to even a couple of well loaded craftsman tool boxes.

Steve

I have an old table in my basement shop that I use as a final assembly space
for my projects. I keep it as clean and organized as the the rest of my shop.

CurrentTable.jpg

At a glance, I can see the ash tray, cigarette lighter, a box of wooden matches
(just in case the lighter is out of fluid) and a can of Genesee beer.
There is a place for everything, and everything is in it's place.
The rest of the stuff on that table are just model assembling things with a few
finished engines mixed in. I need to move them too.

I do clean it up once in awhile.
Can't find a thing for weeks after doing that.

Rick

Cases of FSD are very common, probably 95% infection, rate among HSMers

(Flat Surface Disorder, an inability to leave any flat surface in the workshop uncluttered. The more advanced cases have an inability to leave a flat surface even visible, let alone merely cluttered)

The stuff that usually clutters my workbench are:

1. Things I'm not quite ready to throw away.
2. My current project & Bits & Pieces potentially useable in my current project.
3. Stuff I want to keep, but don't yet have a permanent place for.
4. All the tools I've used in the last day or so.

Chuck

Cedge said:
Coldte...

I also have a couple of wire bakers racks that I got from Sam's Wholesale Club that are mobile, adjustable and not all that expensive. They work great for storage ranging from small parts to even a couple of well loaded craftsman tool boxes.

Steve
Steve, I use a lot (12) of those baker's racks from Sams. Only problem is they hold 600 lbs per shelf without casters, but only 500 lbs total for all shelves on the furnished casters. So far mine are all mobile, but I am running out of room.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

100_3858.jpg

Even a hanger will become too small. This is all caused by the "stuff magnets" in your hands.

Kenny

Cedge said:
Truth being told, most of those shop photos were taken right after a cleaning frenzy...LOL.
Steve

Uhm, well, yeah... probably the most concise statment ive read so far... and accurate... and as Cedge says..Im guilty.... I usually have to clean up before I start a project.... but I dont have any rubbish! Its all good stuff and Ill use it.... one day..... ::)

Cheers mate, "its all good stuff" - Artie

I have a place for everything and NOTHING in its place as you will see when you come to visit.

Richard.

1Kenny said:
100_3858.jpg

Even a hanger will become too small. This is all caused by the "stuff magnets" in your hands.

Kenny

Kenny, what is that plane?

Keeping on topic...

My work benches are always covered. I can never seem to get things put away long enough. It always seems one I've put something away I can never seem to find it without an hour long aggravating search....

It seems like around hear all horizontal surfaces become shelves . Work benches, stools tables etc all things get used as shelves.
Tin

Back