Wood Lathe in a Machine Shop?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piecat

Reaction score
I picked up this Canadian Tire Mastercraft wood lathe for CD$50 (brand new at an estate sale!). I am not a woodworker, and bought it mainly for the nice variable speed motor and
and control box. I am in the process of installing it on my Taig Metal Lathe.

Specs:
120 volt, 2.3 amp., 60Hz (approx.1/3 hp)
750-3200 rpm (no Load)
Shaft dia. 5/16”
Weight = 4 1/2 pounds (2 kg)

The Question:

Could a wood lathe like this (without original motor) be of any use in a home machine shop. The castings are somewhat rough, but the machined surfaces are very well done. as is the alignment of the head/tailstock. I do'nt mind making some heavy alterations to it.

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1093-1.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

Thanks - Piecat

I have an old craftsman wood lathe that I have sit up to file,sand and polish shafts and tubes.I made a steady rest for it so I could polish out the rust on a old drill press column .I dont like to do this kind of stuff on my metal lathe.I only gave 10 bucks for it so if it takes a dump it's no loss.All you need is room for it.
Bill L.

I picked up this Canadian Tire Mastercraft wood lathe for CD$50 (brand new at an estate sale!). I am not a woodworker, and bought it mainly for the nice variable speed motor and
and control box. I am in the process of installing it on my Taig Metal Lathe.

Specs:
120 volt, 2.3 amp., 60Hz (approx.1/3 hp)
750-3200 rpm (no Load)
Shaft dia. 5/16”
Weight = 4 1/2 pounds (2 kg)

The Question:

Could a wood lathe like this (without original motor) be of any use in a home machine shop. The castings are somewhat rough, but the machined surfaces are very well done. as is the alignment of the head/tailstock. I do'nt mind making some heavy alterations to it.

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1093-1.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

Thanks - Piecat

Hello

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if you ever installed this motor speed controller on your taig? I just purchased this lathe last night for the motor and speed controller for my lathe. I was wondering if you could post some pictures of your mount if you can.

Thanks

Colin

Latest posts

Back