Will stainless screws gall in 6061 aluminum?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
I have a good supply of 8-32's on hand that I would like to use in my toolholders, and just wonder if they will gall up on me.

websterz said:
I have a good supply of 8-32's on hand that I would like to use in my toolholders, and just wonder if they will gall up on me.

I dont think that will be a problem but!!

I used stainless screws on a fixture that required frequent loosening and tightening. After about 25 cycles the stainless screws broke. The steel screws hold up better to the stress.

In an engine where they get put in and out a few times they would work out great but a tool holder where you cycle that screw in and out, it might not hold up.

My $0.02

Good point Steve, thanks! I will reserve the stainless screws for the holders that rarely get changed like dedicated knurling tools and such. I have material on hand to make a total of 21 holders so frequent swapping won't be a big issue I hope. :big:

Use 'em till something breaks. Tapped holes in AL will fairly quickly wear out if used repeatedly but you can always put an insert in there so I say get some use out of them first.

Latest posts

Back