Will a boring head work on small mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The HSS tools can be ground to any shape you want. The brazed carbide tools not optimal IMO. You need a "green" grinding wheel to sharpen or shape them. You can also find solid carbide boring bars and those that use inserts, although the latter ay be harder to find in small sizes.

Am i limited to the two types of boring tools seen in this link

No while those are the most common there are many variations on the boring bar. look at msc or other large tool supplier. pages and pages.

Can we get tools that will let us create a Chamfer or create small o - ring grooves?

Internal grooving tools are also available in a variety of designs and material.

Not shure about ones for a chamfer. I would expext someone has them. You can always grind one.

Can we buy blanks that we can sharpen to make our own tips?
in practice the solid ones are just that they may be the correct geometry you need or not. when I worked int the trade we almost always ground a new boring bar before use.

There are bars that use hss inserts that can be ground.

you can use silver steel AKA drill rod and make your own BB.
((these are best used for aluminum and brass.

tin

Works fine on mine ,using cheap carbide tipped tooling
setup1.jpg

Admittedly it was bronze but no chatter at all,I obtained a fine feed by making a large handle to replace the original supplied knob.
Don

Last edited:
GEOFF - sure you can

GOLDIGGER - blanks in all sort of sizes and shapes are readily available (you can start with MSC and McMaster-Carr), and once you figure out the relief angles you need on the cutting edge of the tool you can certainly grind chamfering and o-ring grooves, as well as many other circular features that require a form tool.

Last edited:
Buy some of the standard tools and modify them to do the special jobs. Or buy a boring bar that uses a small square tool bit and the make any type special tip you might need

Thanks for your replys guys...
My boring head uses boring bars with a 12mm round shank..I cant seem to find anything in the UK to fit it..apart from the already mentioned..
(mscdirect.co.uk has expensive prices for my pockets)

Anybody know where i should be looking?

Can we use lathe boring bars? cant see why we cant unless they are to long? I ask this as indexable boring bars seem to be more readily available, but obviously at a higher cost.

TIA..

Last edited:
Hi but no one has mentioned making up a small boring head for home construction, nor for boring bars or proper boring tools.
Years ago, I bought George Thomas's Model Engineers Workshop Manual after Bill Bennett had got all George's stuff and put them into that book and into Workshop Techniques.

Over the years, I made up a small boring head out of scrap and made a boring bar or was it two that did the holes in the rather demanding Quorn tool and cutter grinder and a heap of other tools that wnt onto my Myford lathe and my milldrill. .

Actually, the cost was pretty minimal. I bought a scrap cast iron table for £3 and a large quanity of EN1A steel and my hss lathe tools came from the dead, dying or whatever, and I resurrected them( the tools not the guys)

Maybe, a couple of books would keep you going in this direction.

Fly cutting for finishing on my X1 very light cut and a nice surface .

Latest posts

Back