Why is it?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronkh

ronkh
Reaction score
Why is it that you know the parts are correct but yet you have this nagging doubt? scratch.gif
Why is it that you double check and check again, and you still believe they are correct, yet the doubt is still there? :-\
Why is it that your brain thinks they are correct but at the same time telling you something is wrong. stickpoke
Why is it that only in the wee hours two days/nights later do you realize that you had turned the base upside -down when assembling? :Doh:
Why is it that it takes you two days/nights to realize that your brain is not on this planet? :noidea:
Why is it that you believe that you should be making "Grandfather clocks" with arms? :-\ (Look at main column).

Anyway,
This is my part finished Elmers beam engine, #42? at double size. Base to be re-positioned tomorrow!
The other pic has a normal size "Fancy" in front with a slightly larger flywheel behind for one of my other builds that I'm working on.

Ron.

beam 007.JPG

beam 006.JPG

Hi Ron,that's a great looking grandfathers column ;D.Going to be a beautiful engine when you get'er done!
Crab

Nice going Ron Thm: - looking forward to the rest of it ;D

At least you got beyond my personal "Why is its" stage....

For me it usually happens while still making the part...

Why is it that the dimensions just seem wrong ??? - I re-calculated them over and over...
Why is it that the speed I selected on the mill/lathe just does not "feel" right?
Oh why - Oh why ? didn't I trust my "Why is it" instincts... - ah well, just re-make it then ;D

Regards, Arnold

Thanks Crab/Arnold for replies.

Oh why - Oh why ? didn't I trust my "Why is it" instincts... - ah well, just re-make it then Grin

Because the scrap bin then has more parts then we have on finished models?? :idea:
Time to use them up methinks. Any ideas?? stickpoke
Perhaps a new thread on using scrap parts for novel, as yet uninvented machines/thoughts of engines?

Ron.

I never have any doubts when machining a part.
I just cut it and mic the finished finished result.

20% of the time it's not exactly what I was hoping for and it creates yet another
nick in the paint on the concrete basement walls. ::)

80% of the time my instincts lead me to a good part, BUT there are a lot
nicks in those walls!

I still haven't outgrown my habit of "dropping" things 20 feet on a horizontal plane
when I'm not pleased with the results. ;)

Rick

I'm kind of opposite Rick. 20% of the time, I get it just right, 40% of the time, I have to remake it, sometimes twice, and the other 40% I've learned to accept good enough. I don't think I have a single engine that has an exact bore. In fact, on some of my multicylinder engines, the pistons are not interchangeable. Turns out I use witness marks a lot, because that's the only way the thing will go together!

Chuck

I most often miss the first few attempts. I told my wife I do it on purpose to warm up the lathe bits. :Doh:

take care

tom in MA

I figure for every part that's a little off, I'll have to jack up the air pressure a few more pounds to get the engine to run. My compressor goes up well past 100 lbs. :big:

Don't try this at home.

I can,t understand why all my measuring tools keep getting it wrong. *club*

Latest posts

Back