Why I love this site

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazz

Reaction score
Because of the excellent tipsadvise shared here, this is what happened. A few folks have posted about salvaging printers at the dump for material so when we replaced our stove I had an excuse to go to the dump (a long drive here) and I found a tossed printer. With a Phillips screwdriver and 1/2 an hour this is what I got.

DSCN0303.jpg

1pc x 2.97mm, 1pc x 3.97mm, 4pc x 4.97mm, 1pc x 5.97mm, 1pc x 8.97mm and the Alu tube is 17.97mm. I don't have a hardness tester and am too inexperienced to do a good spark test but I think the shafts are 'fair quality' steel.

Two of the three little pins just above the ruler and to the right are perfect for the additional Gib screws I want to add, as well, there were 3 taperedconical springs seen at left above the ruler, but 1 got immediately pressed into service as per another mentioned mod here to my tail stock clamping plate.

DSCN0273.jpg

And it works like a charm. Also please note the handle sitting on the tailstock, I got a QCTP and I found out by accident, that the handle from the stock toolpost is the same thread as the stud on the tailstock, and all it needs is a little trim to fit and adjust the clamping range.

I could have spent 3 years instead of months fumble stumbling about learning about this stuff, so once again thanks to the 'senior' members (BTW it's my 50Th B-Day today and I'm playing Hooky) ;) for sharing their knowledge and discoveries! :bow:

Chazz

Invention, strictly speaking, is little more than a new combination of those images which have been previously gathered and deposited in the memory; nothing can come of nothing.

- Joshua Reynolds (British portrait Painter, 1723-1792)

Invention favors the prepared mind.

- Anonymous

Happy Birthday.

I did the same with an old printer just the other day. As well as items similar to yours, I got 3 dc motors several gear wheels and a handful of rubber bushes!

Ian

Chazz

Congratulations on discovering dumpster diving Chazz. Also Happy Birthday and good of you to play hooky and celebrate. I have stripped many printers, scanners and drives of various kinds and there are always lots of treasures to be found. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Happy birthday, Chazz!
I take all that kind of stuff apart, too. I may not be able to get printers and things to work for their
original purpose, but I find a purpose for their many bits and pieces. They are a common item at yard
sales. Usually about $2, hereabouts.

Have a good one!

Dean

About a month ago I put a listing in the wanted section of Craigslist for inoperative printers and picked up five of them at no charge. Also, Staples Office Supplies will give you a $3.00 per unit credit for any ink or toner cartridges that you turn in each month up to a limit of ten per month. So far they have accepted anything that I have offered. It takes about two months for the credit memo to show up.

Jack

Thanks for the kudos. ;D funny, I don't feel any older? :D

Regards,
Chazz

Back