Why do my videos "freeze up"?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
When I make videos to post on this forum, I use my digital camera, and it saves them as a .avi file which is huge. I then import the movie into Windows "Movie Maker" which saves it as a .wmv file which is a lot smaller. I use Photobucket to import the .WMV file, and then I can post the link to it in this website and another machinists forum I belong to. When I go to play the video, it starts okay, but only plays about half the video, then it "freezes". If I wait long enough (and its quite a long wait), it starts up again from where it froze, and finishes. I am on a high speed internet land line with Rogers cable. I don't now if other people viewing my videos have this annoying problem or not. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?----Brian

:) ;D

Hi Brian,

The answer lies in your computer and it's use of memory.... or more specifically, how much it has and how much it allocates to the video streaming buffer and to the video playback software.

http://www.delete-computer-history.com/slow-streaming-video.html

Take a look at this and it may help explain it in a bit more detail.

Best regards.

sandyC ;) ;)

Brian Rupnow said:
I don't now if other people viewing my videos have this annoying problem or not.

Lots of things can affect video playback over the internet, the two main ones being your computer spec and connection speed, I generally do OK viewing video's etc and your recent Doodlebug one was fine Brian, though occasionally my internet connection can be painfully slow .............. which no one seems to be able to explain.

CC

I would suggest you test your connection speed.
SpeedTest.net is one of the most accurate testing sites.
After that page loads completely you will see a gold pyramid
or star. Click on that gold icon and don't touch anything else
until the speed test has finished. The results will show your
Download and Upload speeds. They may not be what the ISP is advertising.
If your modem is more than 2 years or older you might consider
upgrading it to the current equipment. If that modem is leased from
the ISP they should do that for you and little or no cost.

Rick

Thanks for the link! ;D

Down:19.01 Mb/s Up:3.71 Mb/s Ping: 24 ms

This site:

http://www.measurementlab.net/

seems to provide more of the "Why" information that one might be looking for in determining the speed at which some things perform faster/slower at different times of the day than others that I have visited. In addition, if you explore some of the information on the site or their links you may find it very enlightening.

Additionally, they don't want to sell you anything. ;D

Cheers,

Andy

Hmmm.... .35 Mb/s down .29 Mb/s up :eek: Now that's scary fast! Rof}

Gotta love "High Speed Internet" in the middle of nowhere!

Eventually ;D
Jeff

Latest posts

Back