Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Tony.
The three day silence was starting to worry me.
Gail in NM

Thanks Vernon,

Gail, thanks, I had to step back and think over what I was doing (don't do it again!) and wait for a new reamer.

Tony

As they say Tony,
the devil is in the details.

Great job figuring out how to do it right.
This success has got to be a boost to your confidence.

And provides a lesson to us novices ( or is it novii ? ).

earl...

Way to go, Tony.

Sometimes it pays to just walk away from a problem for a while. You just get too close and can't see what the real issues are till you step back a bit.

No More :wall:, No More :fan:

Much More. Thm: Thm: Thm: Thm:

Congrats on a successful outcome. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Congratulations Tony!.....Glad you got by it!

On with the build! :)

Dave

Tony, first off I'm glad you solved your problem. The next thing is I refer to your post #278. Setup is the most important aspect of machining. Sometimes setup takes more time than the actual cut but as you have found out there is no substitute. The work around, drilling and reaming first, is OK if the part is small enough to do that but it would be nice to figure out why it was happening in the first place so that it could be avoided on something larger. A new sharp drill with equally shaped flutes should drill quite an accurate hole. It's usually when the drill has been resharpened that it wants to push sideways while going through the material. Anyway, the rest they say should be a piece of cake.
gbritnell

Thanks All,
Glad I'm through that. Lessons to be learned.....don't rush.... double check your set up. The old saying.... measure twice cut once! The worst part is I know all those things but sometime don't listen to the voice of reason in my head saying check it again!

Tony

Tonight's Fun

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Almost done, Drill holes for crank support and oil gallery drill and tap mating holes for the lower tap head screw holes
Then the big one....bore front and rear of both upper and lower with a .833 hole. I'm thinking that one for the lathe in a 4 jaw

Tony

Tony,
You not only do nice work but you do it very FAST.
Looks great.
Gail in NM

Looking good. I don't think I realised that it was that small? I should go back through refresh my memory some ;D

It's great, Tony!
Nice touch, Wright Flyer and an aero engine.

Dean

Holy Cr_p Tony :eek: The engine is so much smaller than I had realized. Your progress and problem solving are very inspiring and I'm really enjoying following your build.

and from a fellow aviator great coin choice...

Jeff

Dean, kvom, Slick,
Thank for the kind words. The Wright Flyer quarter is now located in the shop for future pics. I can't keep those darn M&M's around to long!

Tony

It's great to see it worked out! I'm getting closer to my first complete build. I have to finish designing it, but I'm tied up with work for the next week or so.

A lot of very nice work going into this engine. Gonna be a beauty!

Chuck

Latest posts

Back