Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Chuck,
I've got a lot of drilling and taping to go but so far so good!

Tony

Wow. I knew it was small. But it's always such a shock.
What a project.
I wish I had that patience and skill.
Or at least the skill.

Hey Zee,
It's small. I am doing some cad work now and I'm about to go and drill and tap somemore holes.
News at 11 (est)

Tony

Tony
I've quietly followed this thread and have marveled at your work. However, until you placed the quarter in the photo I'd never really gotten the scale of things. I can tell you my head almost exploded....LOL. You're working way down at George Luhr levels of tiny, there!!! I'll be watching as you progress, much more closely as things move ahead. Amazing!!

Steve

Vernon, Wait no more....I figured I go up against Leno and or Conan :big:

Steve, That would be a Dime instead of a quarter on Luhrs engines!

So anyway, Hole-ly smokes Tony is all taped out tonight because he spent the hole night screwing around... :big:
Did a little CAD work EW had 7 and 1/16 holes in the circle so I drew up the circle for the lower case in ACAD at 7 bolts.....well I lost .007 of the .135 he has you start at but the good news is it works for my DRO now.

Just use for the lower crankcase angle will depend on how you have your DRO set up and if anyone interested I will datum dim for you if you don't have bolt circle capability on DRO or doing it manual.
See Attached Below

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

So far so good!

Tony

View attachment Whittle_LOWER CASE CIRCLE.pdf

Looking might pretty Good work! :bow:
Good feeling getting all those hole tapped I'll bet!

"Screwing around" :big: :big:

doc the fingers are warn out....more holes inside too!

One more step off the list!

Tony

Tony,
You look like you're all tapped out ;D

Man, dat's a lotta holes...

cobra428 said:
So far so good!

Tony

WOW!
I'll second that thought!
I'm at a total loss for words here...

Looking great Tony! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

Tiny, Oops I mean Tony,

Like the rest of the guys I did not appreciate the scale of this engine. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Oh man, Tony... You're gonna have carpel tunnel so bad. Not to mention the nervous breakdown.
If you're too busy for the breakdown, I'll do it for you. I owe you a favor.

That's a lot of tiny tapped holes!
Glad you got them done.

Dean

Thanks All,
Glad I didn't bust a tap. You would have seen a grown man cry over the internet!

Tony

Jeez Tony, a guy takes a minute for a cup of coffee and you've tapped half the holes in the world....

Looking really good :bow: :bow: glad you were able to sort that hole drilling issue.

Cheers, Joe

Great work Tony, I have the plans for this too. Not good enough to tackle it yet and I really didn't realize how small it is.

This thread will be a life saver if/when I ever get started on it.

Ron

joe d, Dean may be right...having a hard time pushing the mouse around at work.

ozzie46, Don't know if I'm going to get through it all. I think I'm pushing the top end of my limits! I will keep pushing on till there's no hope. Then I'll push on some more.

Tony

Tony,
Looks good.

You sure are getting close to having a finished crankcase. I presume you will have in in your pocket for Cabin Fever.
You will have a lot of fun there. Be sure to take about three times more photos than you think you want. Then allow about 3 days to rest up after you get back.

Cabin Fever will be a well deserved break. After the Crankcase is finished up are you going to make some easy parts for a while to break the tension?

Enjoy,
Gail in NM

Hi Gail,
I was thinking of jumping to the cylinders next. It will get me off the mill for a while and do some lathe stuff (the lathe hasn't been on for a month and no taping req.). This way I'll have a nice look at the engine and be even more inspired. I'll do the outside to spec. and leave the bore .005 short to finish later. I'll black oxide to stop any rust while they wait for the rest of the parts.

I don't know if my pockets are big enough to hold that :big:

Planing on many, many pics for those that can't make it. I'm thinking of leaving the credit cards home and only taking enough money to get there and back. I do have a tendency to buy at these type of affairs. Na, I'll bring the cards!

Are you planning to make NAMES, I'm going to give it my best shot.

Quick question (or maybe not). I was looking at the head drawings and wondering why EW put the plugs so close to the intake valve and cut the plug? Seems to me that it would be better at the center of the cyl so the cold intake air won't cool the plug element and no plug mod.

Tony

Latest posts

Back