Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tony, I realized after posting that intricate work requires a very close in-your-face approach. I got very intimate with the swarf produced hoggin out the crankcase on my Radford Red Deere version of Chucks Fellows John Deere.

There are occasions were my suggestion are used by me and do work. Although most of them are obvious to most of us, I thought them worthy of a mention.

I need to stop and clear out cavities that fill up rapidly with swarf. Here's an idea that may work in most cases. A bracket could be made up to hold the nozzle of a shop vacuum very near the cavity being hogged out to keep it clear and open.

Might be worth a try!

-MB

-MB,
Yes, that is a great idea. I would like to hook it to a foot pedal maybe. When you are working like that, your turning the feed wheel, throwing on some oil and blowing out the chips all at the same time! To bad we weren't born with 4 arms and hands! I have always thought of getting a oil mist system (flood out of the question, to messy).
Your putting bad thoughts in my head......I have to go and spend some bucks now. I really wanted to spend the bucks on a power drawbar but air and mist will come first. Drawbar big$$

Tony

So much for the mister and air foot pedal. Air foot pedal alone $70 oil mister system start at $130. I don't understand, I can go to the depot and pick up a pneumatic blow gun set for $10. Looks like it's time to dream something up!

Tony

Post Post...found this at our friends at LMS

https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2725&category=2122081959

But the delux

https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2966&category=2122081959

scratch.gif

Tony
Again

I've seen people convert an airbrush to a coolant mister.

Vernon,
Interesting......but I still use mine for painting and that's an expensive approach depending on the airbrush mfg'er. No way in heck am I going to convert my Pacshe. I guess I could go to HF and get one of those $20 ones. It would give a nice mist. I going to think that over.

Tony

cobra428 said:
No way in heck am I going to convert my Paasche. I guess I could go to HF and get one of those $20 ones. It would give a nice mist. I going to think that over.

Tony
:eek: :eek: No, not the Paasche! I've got a single-action that I've had for years. Great brush. I was thinking of the HF or one of the cheapies from Wal-mart's model kit section, Badger or a Testors, probably. ;D

Got any links to a conversion for a cheapo airbrush? BTW, HF has airbrushes on sale last time I looked.

Guys, I don't know, you just sprung this one on me. And NO PAASHE will be sacrificed. I been bizzy getting my HF 8x12 lathe on a bench tonight, It was sad that I retired it in it's prime. 5 good engines stirling and steam all running and I turned her in for a grizz 10 x22 and DRO. That's no way to meet her end. Tried to sell but, as I would be sceptical too buying a used lathe. So now I'll have 2 lathes. What the heck, I'll keep a 4 jaw on one and a 3 on the other. The bench a little wobbly I may have to mount it to the wall.

Vernon, Single action is what I have, Tried Double action....almost went out of my mind :shrug: :wall: Rof}

Optimism 1-O-1, 4 blade for display 2 blade to run and the pusher prop is perfecto mondo for reverse rotation. (Gail tell the folks on yahoo, No need to mirror the cam, this is the way It' should be, can't seem to get a message across, it does rotate ccw from the pilots seat)

IMG_0697.jpg

I,ve got to stop BS'in with you gang and start working. I really want this engine. It's to bad I really like you guys and need to BS Rof}

Here goes a pic of the fun tonight

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

Should have listened to the bride and read the instructions
IMG_0700.jpg

After long, long hours of work rebuilding Rof} (shush and a couple of beers)
IMG_0703.jpg

Engine Hoist and nylon strap from the Homedepot (don't try this at home I'm an untrained professional)
IMG_0707.jpg

Home sweet home.
IMG_0714.jpg

It's in a better home than the dolly. I might get the Hippy Hippy Shakes as the Maryak had said once but little parts should be fine till I find a better home for her

Tony

[ Guys, I don't know, you just sprung this one on me. And NO PAASHE will be sacrificed. I been bizzy getting my HF 8x12 lathe on a bench tonight, It was sad that I retired it in it's prime. 5 good engines stirling and steam all running and I turned her in for a grizz 10 x22 and DRO. That's no way to meet her end. Tried to sell but, as I would be sceptical too buying a used lathe. So now I'll have 2 lathes. What the heck, I'll keep a 4 jaw on one and a 3 on the other. The bench a little wobbly I may have to mount it to the wall. ]

Tony, Not to go to far off topic but I too have recently purchased the Griz 10 x 22.

Would you be so kind as to give me your impressions of it? I haven't had a chance to use mine very much, although I did make a QCTP for it. I don't have a DRO and probably won't get one. Too expensive for me.

I'm keeping my 7 x 12 as I have found there were several times I wished I had another lathe so I wouldn't have to remove a part from the chuck before it was done to do something else.

Ron

Ron,
Don't worry about going off topic on this thread. I'm having fun here...a little work on the Whittle...a little BS'in. I think it's great. My Grizz 10x22 is a very nice machine. I saw in your thread, you had a problem with your spindle. I have had no problems to date and the mach has been a work horse (as a hobby mach that is). I love that I can change feed rates and do threads with the simple turn of the knobs. I think I'll keep both lathes too. As you said it would be nice. DRO is a luxury item I know and it is very helpful but not a necessity. Good luck with yours and start using it more and make some engines! If I can help in the future don't hesitate to chime in.

Tony

Hallelujah,
Dean, your right, third time is a charm....so far. I got a little done tonight. So here goes

Outside looking good...I have to tap oil drain hole. Thanks Gail on the heads up on the wet sump. Most commercial 4 strokes that is a breather. I didn't get that far in the reading and for now I don't want to (it will scare me). I have to finish the upper crankcase, join the two and bore the main bearing holes.
IMG_0733.jpg

Inside a little ruff but some paper should handle that...besides only we will know :big:
IMG_0734.jpg

0-80 screws...I got to be nuts...my hands are to big and if I drop one ....with my eyes I never find it
IMG_0735.jpg

Tony

Congratulations Tony. Looks very nice.

Remember to sand the sump and upper crankcase with fine abrasive paper so they fit together very well to keep oil leaks down with the moving parts in the wet sump throwing oil everywhere in the crankcase.

Gail in NM

Thanks Gail,
I fly cut those surfaces and will sand with 1000 on the surface plate and a tad of high temp silicon smear should do it....I hope
And Gail, Thanks for keepin an eye on me....your a great help!
Tony

One-more-time, then.
That sure is a good lookin' oil pan, Tony.

There. I said it again. And again.
:)

Keep it up. You've obviously go it in you!

Dean

With the craftsmanship observed here and in other posts within the "A Work In Progress" thread, I'm to scared to post my carvings. I can see the rocks coming at me from the computer screen now!!! :big:

That is really fine work Tony. I am so looking forward to seeing this engine.

Put a coin nearby or steal that M&M from Dean...it's amazing to realize how small this engine is.

CMS said:
I can see the rocks coming at me from the computer screen now!!!

Let them who have never broken a tap, never snapped a drill bit, never cranked in the wrong direction....cast the first stone. ;D

Tony, I don't know what you're talking about. The pan looks great. I don't know that I would have had the perseverance to make three of them. I have AutoCad installed on my computer. Whenever I get into a situation where I'm not sure of metal breakout or interference I draw the area up to see what's happening. I know alot of fellows don't have this option but it sure helps out.
George

That looks great. Do the drawings show ringed or lapped pistons?

Dean, Thanks, eventually I get it right, get it right, get it right :big:

CMS No fun is made of anybodies work here.....we all started somewhere

Zee, Thanks, I second the "cast no stone" The problem with the M&M is I keep eating them before I can take the pic!

George, the worst thing is I do have autocad, mechanical desk top and Inventor at home. At my previous job we were allowed to have a copy at home. I will draw out the upper block cyl, stud and lifter holes in cad. Then datum dim so no confusion on the DRO. Don't want to do the upper 3 times!

dieselpilot, Ringed.....yeh I know....small .460 bore

Tony

Latest posts

Back