Which rotary table for an X2 mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

rotarytable.jpg

does anyone use this particular model with their X2 mill? Or would the six inch rotary table be better? After struggling with a six inch vise on the X2 and going with the 4 inch model, I am worried the six inch table would be the same way on the little mill.

Thoughts or experiences sought on the subject,
Kermit

Hi Kermit

I'm using that one on my Taig mill, it seems to me to be the largest that I can fit with any usable room left. I've never compared the Taig to an X2, but offhand wouldn't think that the X2 has much more room. Mine has a fairly annoying amount of backlash, it can be allowed for, just need to pay attention... :D

It's on my roundtoit list to strip it down, clean, adjust, and re-assemble which will no doubt improve the situation. YMMV...

Cheers, Joe

Have a 4" on my X2 and don't think a 6" would fit well. If you need a little more area you can alway mount a 6" plate to the 4" with some threaded mounting holes. There are times I would like a larger RT but they are the same times I would have liked a larger mill to go with it. ;D

If you want, I can take a picture of the 4" on my mill and see how it fits.

After using the 4" Grizzly rotab on my x2 I don't really see how a 6" model would fit. The 4" H/V model is just the right size. I would suggest going for a higher quality model if the funds allow as the Grizzly is like the x2 itself, a bit of a DIY kit of parts. After making a base plate for mine, tearing it down for cleaning, deburring, desanding, and oiling, and modifying it with a thrust washer to improve the table feel I finally have a usable tool. I am still left with one big drawback and that is the locking mechanism for the table. It has just one thumbscrew instead of the 2 compression clamps that most rotabs seem to use. Under a heavy cut I worry that the table will shift. I guess a "heavy cut" on an x2 mill is a bit of an oxymoron though. ;D On the plus side of things the Grizzly table does come with a set of dividing plates.

This doesn't really address the CDCO table, I realize, but I don't have one of those. :big:

Thanks for the input. I found one which I really want. The 4 inch Southbend model from grizzly, however, they want a little to much money for the privilege of letting me have one.

I decided to go with a four inch model offered by Lathemaster.

http://www.lathemaster.com/ROTARYTABLESET.htm

It has a morse taper 1 spindle bore and comes with the dividing plates.

Again thank you for the knowledge and suggestions,
Kermit

black85vette said:
The lock is not great on them, just a screw into the table rather than clamps.

The write up claims it to be 'dual' locking action. I would suppose that to mean two clamps. And the Grizzly does look exactly like it, even down to the locking clamp lever arms.

So, too late for second guessing, it's already on the truck to me.

::)

Thank everyone,
Kermit

Like B85V, I have the Grizzly version. The finish is not very good and upon rotation I noticed there was some binding in one of the 90 degree quadrants so I dismantled it entirely and cleaned out some sludge, re-lubricated it and now it works well. The lines and numbers on the wheels had some white crud in them making them hard to see so I took a wire brush to them and then went over with a black Sharpie, wiped the surface clean and now they are much better.

-Trout

After using the 4" Grizzly rotab on my x2 I don't really see how a 6" model would fit. The 4" H/V model is just the right size. I would suggest going for a higher quality model if the funds allow as the Grizzly is like the x2 itself, a bit of a DIY kit of parts. After making a base plate for mine, tearing it down for cleaning, deburring, desanding, and oiling, and modifying it with a thrust washer to improve the table feel I finally have a usable tool. I am still left with one big drawback and that is the locking mechanism for the table. It has just one thumbscrew instead of the 2 compression clamps that most rotabs seem to use. Under a heavy cut I worry that the table will shift. I guess a "heavy cut" on an x2 mill is a bit of an oxymoron though. ;D On the plus side of things the Grizzly table does come with a set of dividing plates.

This doesn't really address the CDCO table, I realize, but I don't have one of those. :big:

I would like to know what size thrust washer did you use??? Boot.

Latest posts

Back