Which QCTP for Sherline lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal

Reaction score
I picked up a Sherline lathe over the weekend and was wonder which QCTP to get.

The steel Sherline tool post is about 2 1/2 the cost of the aluminum A2Z brand.

Do the aluminum tool post hold theit zero ??

Can anyone suggest some good web sites to check out.

Thank You

Hal

I had an A2Z on my Taig and 6" Atlas. It worked pretty well in both places, though I've not got much to compare it to on those.

Here's the link the the A2Z QCTP :

http://www.a2zcnc.com/machinetools.asp

More details on the Sherline version

Also available from Little Machine Ship

The other QCTP vendor is TS Engineering

Here's a review of TS Engineering's version. The review also states the TS Engineering is no longer makng QCTP's, but seemed to be available on their site.

I own both of them and they're pretty much identical.

The both suffer from a minor flaw if you're using the 1/4" tool bits like I tend to do. You can't raise the 1/4" tool bit high enough to align with the center line of the Sherline spindle. It's not a fatal flaw, but more of a nuisance solved by putting a piece of shim stock underneath the tool bit. e.g. use another 1/4" tool bit as a shim.

The QCTP works pretty well for me. There's reports of the QCTP body twisting a bit under heavy cutting loads. Here's a more info.

QCTP (Quick Change Toolpost) Base mod from Dave Hylands plus he's got some other Sherline goodies/mods to choose from. Near the top of my list is to make this base.

There's another QCTP base mod out there somewhere that puts a little concave shape on the bottom of the QCTP base that improves it's fit to the Sherline cross-slide. YMMV :) Can't recall the link at the moment.

Hope all those links help !!

Mike

I Have an A2Z on my 7 x lathe. I used to have an Aloris AXA mounted. While the Aloris is certainly a superior tool IMHO the A2Z works well on a small lathe and holds a smaller better sized parting tool.

Phase II hobby tp is discontinued and there mirco is pricey.
Tin

Mike's post above has some very good info.

I had an A2Z QCTP on my Taig and was very pleased with it. However, I did find that it did twist and turn unexpectedly from time to time which I found rather frustrating. I ran across Walter Anderson's web page that described his modifications (refered to in Mike's posting and here again for completeness)

http://www.walteranderson.us/hobbies/metalworking/microlathe/qctp/index.html

Once I made the change I never had the QCTP twist or turn again (unless I wanted it to). Walter's mod is highly recommended.

I have only praise for the A2Z QCTP. It's aluminum construction seems to have held out well over the past 4 years and for a time I even used it on my much larger 10x22 lathe.

If I was to do it over again, I would very seriously consider the QCTP sold by Little Machine shop as the "hobby"

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3444

Very much in size and shape as the A2Z but made of steel versus aluminum. I would think that as such it might be a bit more robust over the long term.

cheers, Graham

Latest posts

Back