Which flux for soft soldering?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
I currently use the paste style flux for soft soldering (not easyflow but paste that is actually for soft soldering) but I know you can also get the liquid flux which is reflered to as Bakers Flux.

Which flux do you use and why do you use one over the other?

I basically use the paste as it was all I could get at the time I needed some and want to know if the other flux is better / worse or no different.

I have now gone over completely to non leaded soft solder and its associated paste flux.

When I used to use leaded solder, I used the paste instead of Bakers fluid because I could see where I was putting it and it didn't go all over the place. Never had any trouble with the paste.

One thing I can say, having used non leaded for a while now, I would never go back to the old stuff. Paint the flux on the joint, beat the end of the solder wire into a thin sheet (use a clean faced hammer and anvil) and cut off little strips (pallions) to stick around or in the joint, apply heat, perfect joint.

Blogs

How does the non leaded stuff flow?
I've tried a couple of them in Australia and have found it didn't flow as well as the leaded stuff.

Tmuir,

I have never had any trouble with it, it runs just like normal leaded solder.

Maybe because I don't feed the wire, but always use pallions in and around the joint, like I do with silver solder. Doing it that way you tend not to put too much on.

Blogs

Latest posts

Back