Where to get Metric plans?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiegoVV

Reaction score
Hello dear machinists!

I am planning to build a new engine. My decission is biased towards radial type engine. The problem I have is regarding metric / imperial units.

Having grown in Spain I am used to metric units, being really difficult for me thinking and working in inches.

Since the 90% of our hobby in developed in UK and USA, all the plans I find are in inches. I know that translating a complete set of plans to metric has inherent problems as lack of precission, redesign of certain parts and a bunch of weird things I don´t want to face.

Can someone tell me where can I find/buy a good set of plans for a radial engine in metric units? 9 cyl. Hodgson one is a real beauty and something similar would be perfect!

PD: I have almost completed in Autodesk Inventor the rebuild of an Whittle V8 but in metric units. If someone wants the files, feel free to send me a PM! Since the Whittle design is free, I will share my work for free also.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Thank you Jasonb!

The engine you mention looks very good, but I am afraid not to find building information about this engine. Anyway, it seems promising to me.

Best regards!

The P+W R985, and R1830 plans drawn by Bob Roach of Australia are all in metric. Not sure of their availability anymore tho. His contact info is on this webpage:

http://modelenginenews.org/~modeng74/vernal/index.html

Bruce Satra used to offer castings for both engines, but this new website says he's handing the business over someone else, and it makes no mention of the the WASP castings, only the Morton castings (I can't comment on whether the Morton drawings are inch or metric).

http://www.vernalengineering.com/

Maybe some one on here has more info, or perhaps you need to send some emails to Bob and Bruce.

I don't want to get into a fight about inch versus metric here, I had plenty of those in watchmaking school. The parts I've made for my radials were made on manual machines with inch dials, inspected with inch based measuring tools, and even my CNC programs I wrote used inch units that were converted/calculated from the metric units on the blueprints. 25.4 is your friend here!

I guess that's the advantage/disadvantage to growing up in the US during this time period, everyday I deal with something that is Inch, Metric, or half and half. So I have to use both. I think of it like being bi-lingual! Although some days I wish there was only one system.

John

Can someone tell me where can I find/buy a good set of plans for a radial engine in metric units? 9 cyl. Hodgson one is a real beauty and something similar would be perfect!

Jung as 5, 7 & 9 cyl radials
http://www.cad-jung-shop.de/epages/...729/Categories/Baupläne/Bauplane_Modellmotore

build of Jung 7-cyl here
http://philsradial.blogspot.ca/

Ohrndorf has 5, 9, 14 (double row)
http://www.engineman.de/

All of these are metric + methanol/glow ignition + 2D plans from 3D original CAD models.

No Barnesrickw, 25.4 will not do anything if you want to make things with the precission I like to achieve in my works.

For some things conversion is possible, but in this case it is not an option.

No Barnesrickw, 25.4 will not do anything if you want to make things with the precission I like to achieve in my works.

Not only would converting everything by 25.4 be extremely precise, but absolutely accurate as well. 1 inch is equal to exactly 25.4mm.

BTW, just to clear up any confusion of terms, precision is hitting a number/dimension almost spot on. Accuracy is hitting the exact number/dimension called for. You can measure parts very precisely with an improperly calibrated micrometer, but to measure them accurately your micrometer must be calibrated.

DiegoVV, I'm confused by your mention that converting from imperial to metric is not accurate enough for you, why not, it's how it is always done. If you want to work in microns, you would have to have a temperature controlled workshop and equipment to handle the precision.

We changed to metric dimensions perhaps 10 years after I started work, so I am very familiar with both systems.

Paul.

When I worked in a lab, and a machine shop I converted frequently. Seemed to work well. Not having to deal with significant figures because this is not school helps even more.

And now that I think of it, 0.001 inches would equal .0254 mm. That puts that last digit in microns. I can't measure in microns. I would round .0254 mm up to 0.03 mm, or at most 0.025 mm.

Its not just the straight conversion that is the issue, In mainland Europe its not easy for a hobbiest to obtain imperial materials, fixings, bearings and tools. Even when thay can be obtained its quite an investment on something like a 9cyl radial to tool yourself up with reamers, taps & dies and buying in lengths of stock that you may only use a small piece of.

Simple example, do you turn a piece of 5mm drill rod down to 4.7625mm which is into microns or buy 3/16 drill rod if available. I'll leave you to make your own reamers.

Most people of similar age to myself are familiar with both systems
I prefer metric for larger untoleranced dims but prefer thous for tight tolerances.Converting imperial to metric with the use of 25.4 is very accurate
I think the point being made is that a direct conversion for all dims is
not feasable,availability of matls and tooling play a big part in partial
conversion.Which is made difficult but not impossible.Conversion and rounding
up or down should be strictly checked to avoid mishaps.Having a combined metric/imperial engine is not a problem

I prefer metric for larger untoleranced dims but prefer thous for tight tolerances.

Interesting, I work the opposite way. One thou is 0.0254mm and while I can only measure to 1/100th of a mm I do aim to hit within that hundreth. I can only measure to 1/1000th of an inch so if I was working to the same tolerance I would be +/- 0.0254mm rather than +/- 0.01mm.

If I'm working with vernier calipers I prefer to use the inch scale for ease of readability.

Simple example, do you turn a piece of 5mm drill rod down to 4.7625mm which is into microns or buy 3/16 drill rod if available. I'll leave you to make your own reamers.

I get what you're saying (I'm having similar issues staying with imperial dimensions for my V4 build in Australia, more for bearings, seals and fasteners though) but realistically the 3/16 drill rod is not accurately 3/16 into the microns anyway. If it was required to be 3/16 and 5mm wouldn't do then I'd turn it down to 4.76mm and (if I hit my number exactly) it'd only be 0.0001" off 3/16. I believe a commercial reamer would work at that size and if there was doubt a "d bit" reamer could be made from the same piece of stock.

The main problem that I see in converting imperial drawings to metric, is smaller shaft sizes. I'm not talking about short pieces that can be turned to size, but longer, small diameter pieces. Some allowance would have to be made to change the drawing to suit shaft sizes available. If engine builders are not confident in making changes to the drawings, I can see where this could be a bit of a problem. On my current Howell V4 build, the wrist / gudgeon pins are called up as 7/32" dia, not having any drill rod, or reamers this size, I just changed to 6mm dia. I have made a few other changes to suit sizes that I have available, no one will be any the wiser after its all finished.

Paul.

Thats the point i was making.Many years ago in the apprentice school,a major project for all the apprentices combined was to built a half size metric
version of one of the company products.A bread wrapping machine.Full sized mc was nom 3ft wide x 4ft high x 6 ft long.Concept spent many weeks in the apprentice DO,doing what we have been discussing on a grand scale.Sizing shafts up or down,chains sprockets Brgs etc.Then the pattern shop and foundry for castings
18 mths later we had a working model wrapping hovis sized sliced loaves of bread.My involvement was on the fitting and turning and finally sheetmetal guards.A no of different models of varios wrapping machines was made over the years. Very interesting.Logistically very difficult at the drawing stage

DiegoVV, I'm confused by your mention that converting from imperial to metric is not accurate enough for you, why not, it's how it is always done. If you want to work in microns, you would have to have a temperature controlled workshop and equipment to handle the precision.

We changed to metric dimensions perhaps 10 years after I started work, so I am very familiar with both systems.

Paul.

Hello Swifty,

You are absolutely right, but here is an example of what I am saying:

In the Whittle plans the distance between some bolts is 0.416 in.

Ok, go to mm....0.416 x 25.4 = 10.5664 mm.

I am happy working with ine hundred of an milimiter, but this would require working in tenths of thusands of milimiters....this is going too far for me.

This is not for speaking about drilling and / or reaming holes in inches. I dont have easy access to drills and reamers in inches.´

At last but not least I don´t know how telling me how bad machinist I am for prefer working with milimiters is going to help. No, 25.4 does not solve my question, as everyone here knows how to operate a calculator.

Back