What's it???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackG

Reaction score

I bought this at an estate sale, and I'm trying to figure out what the heck it is. I realize that this is somewhat off topic from what's normally discussed here, but from reading past postings, I know that a lot of very knowledgeable people read it, and maybe someone can help me figure out what it is. (See the attached photos)

They were made by Westinghouse. Looking at the somewhat ornate workmanship (the knobs and terminals), it looks old. I believe it's electrical in nature because of the screw terminals, and the top terminal is insulated. Each of the “things” are oil filled, and the oil level can be viewed through a small glass port (see the last photo). The knobs rotate either by directly turning them or by using the small black knobs. They rotate forward on a pivot at the bottom, and the screw braces at the back (see the second photo). The amount of rotation is individually controlled by the screws in the back.

I checked each of them with an Ohm meter. Two read 5.4 Ohms and the other three read open (I assume they're broken?). Of the two that show a reading, the position of the knob seems to make no difference. And lastly, there is a magnet inside each (When I hold a screwdriver against the case, I can feel a very slight tug).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jack

Whatsit1b.jpg

Whatsit2a.jpg

Whatsit3a.jpg

Whatsit4b.jpg

Hi Jack,

I am not sure but they look like oil-cooled induction coils...I have no idea what for, or even why they have independant tilt screws.

Andy

Back