What material for QCTP Tool Holders

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I purchased the OXA QCTP kit at theCabin Fever Expo this year. I finally got home yesterday, and today,I installed the QCTP and began setting the height adjustments on thetool holders. I also made some spacers so my original 4-way and myprevious tool post will fit the new OXA stud.

I could buy extra turning/facing toolholders for $14.00 plus shipping, but I want to make my own just forthe satisfaction. In fact, in my searches, I found several referencesto CDCO having cheap tool holders, but an e-mail to them determinedthey do not have any for OXA size. Can other sizes be adapted to theOXA size, maybe with a shim?

What material should I use? The holderswith the set are steel and hardened. Do they really need to behardened? Would 12L14 work? Aluminum? My first attempt will be inaluminum for a DTI holder.

I tried searching the various hobbyforums for threads on making QCTP holders, but there are so many it'shard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Have you made your ownwedge type QCTP tool holders? Did you do a thread on it? Please posta link to the better threads on making QCTP tool holders.

Chuck

No other size holder will fit the 0XA toolpost. You need to buy or make your own holders. The holders that came with the toolpost are most likely case hardened. This protects their dimensions and aids in their repeatability.

You could use 12L14 steel or 6061 aluminium to make your holders without any problems, they just wont be as repeatable as the standard holders and will wear over time.

I prefer to buy my holders ;)

I'm working on a DTI holder in 6061 aluminum. Need to figure out how I'm going to mount the DTI to the tool block.
Thanks for the input. If I could find some OXA holders cheap, I'd probably by some.I checked with CDCO and they don't carry holders except with their tool post sets.
Chuck

I'm working on a DTI holder in 6061 aluminum. Need to figure out how I'm going to mount the DTI to the tool block.
Thanks for the input. If I could find some OXA holders cheap, I'd probably by some.I checked with CDCO and they don't carry holders except with their tool post sets.
Chuck

Try LittleMachineShop, they may have holders for the 0XA. A2Z CNC also may have some, if not it's down to McMaster, Enco and the like.

Keep an eye on eBay too. I see sets on there regularly, you may be able to score a few holders on there as well or at least get a lead to a cheap source.

Chuck

Maybe something like this?

I had a roughly L shaped piece of scrap that said make something!

If you wanted to use a lever type, then the holder would be straight but this one can be used.

I don't know how I missed this reply to my own thread Rod, but I did. It came up while I was searching for sources for setscrews for tool holders.
I have sucessfully made several tool holders for my OXA for various functions out of aluminum, but I have also since bought a total of 8 more turning and facing tool holders from LMS (2 separate orders 0f 4).
So,home made or store bought, what is a good source of quality M6x20 dog point set screws for replacing the occational rounded out screw?

Chuck

Hi Chucketn
A lot of satisfaction making your own tool holders for a QCTP. My preference for locking screws is to use "Cap Head" set screws with the thread end turned off to the root for about 3 mm.

Eric

Chuck,

I made holders for the 0XA QCTP I bought from LMS. I used 1018 Steel and they are holding up OK. I did not post a log on the process.

I mostly copied the original, even using 6mm screws as did the original. I bought my hardware from McMaster-Carr. I think the screws you want are here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=tmsb3q

My basic procedure followed other posts I had read. I started by milling a length of material with the dovetail, then sliced off sections of that to get the blocks that would be the holders. I did the drilling and tapping in the mill on two holders at a time. I used a spiral tap under power at low speed to speed up the process. I finished the holders with the hot-oil blackening process.

--ShopShoe

There is great satisfaction making your own DIY QCTP and the tool holders. Made mine with J.I.S. Cold Rolled M.Steel Bars.Drawings came from Model Engineers' Workshop Magazine.
Cutting the male and female dovetails is not difficult. For now I have six DIY tool holders and three more planned.

IMG_1143.jpg

I purchased the OXA QCTP kit at theCabin Fever Expo this year.

Chuck

15 years ago, I made a batch (20 or so) out of random steel. Probably 1018 or A36 for my BXA post. Did all the dovetails one after the other, ditto drilling a 1/4 20 adjusting post, left the business side thick and plain to be cut later.

Not a one of 'em is worn out, or even showing wear.

Made a few more, recently, out of Fortal (7075). Shinier, easier to make, so far same wear.

If it were me, I'd make a bagful out of good aluminum- 7075 or equivalent- leave a bunch of meat for future use, and be done with it. A few double wide/double high might add some flexibility.

Reactions: gus
A couple suggestions when making these holders, Note how the edges of the dove tails a rounded, this is important, do NOT measure the width at that point, instead take a couple 1/4" D rods whatever slide them into the dove takes and measure that distance, make yours to match that dimension, then round the edges. When you cut the dove tails, set the cutter base about .002" above the base of the dove tail opening, a feeler gage is simple, this prevents the bottom of the cutter rubbing on the base and needless heat.

Latest posts

Back