What is this tool?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_B

Reaction score
A few years ago a longtime friend bequeathed to me his father's Gerstner tool chest. His father, a tool and die maker had received the chest in 1925 upon graduation from technical school. It was full of many treasures of the past, all in very fine condition. One tool has stymied my search for the answer to what it is and what it is or was used for. Please bear with the photos because I am still in the learning stage.

IMG_0492a.jpg

IMG_0493a.jpg

IMG_0494a.jpg

Andy,
That is a RPM device

0 the counter, touch tip to spinning shaft wait 1 minute and you have RPM

Went back and looked at picture

Dial is marked clockwise and counterclockwise depending on which direction shaft is turning

Here's a bit of arcane information for you...

You'll notice a small button (looks like a rivet head) at about the two o'clock position on the rotating wheel. With a finger held lightly on the wheel, that button allows you to count complete revolutions of the wheel.

Thanks George and Marv. :bow: :bow:

Now I can quit looking and wondering what it is. Guess I'll give it a test run on the lathe and see if it still works.

Cheers,

Andy

This is cool. I found one of those also and could not figure it out. thaanks

Rick

It is a Tackometer, reads the RPM of a shaft that is rotating.

Hi Bernie, good to see you joined us here. Bernie is a member of our SCHSM club and a good personal friend.

You might want to write a brief intro in the "Welcome" subforum - maybe include a picture of one of your barbecue grills to get the guys drooling. Also a good idea to amend your profile and include your location.

Hi all! Just joined a week or so ago and I've been too busy reading to post anything. :eek: Anyway here's my current project.

A local high school ceased it's metal shop program and a friend found the patterns amongst the "trash". He remembered trying to make one in school and still had the plans! So dad redrew the plans and I "borrowed" another friends foundry and poured up a couple of sets of castings. Dad finished his several years ago and it works great, and he got sick of me borrowing it all the time so.....

I'm still fairly new to machine work so I tend to hack and slash when finesse is required but I like to think I'm getting better.

Jeff

Sander1.JPG

Sander2.JPG

Sander3.JPG

Latest posts

Back