What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more progress on the 1/6th scale Miss APBA. for the Seal Major 30cc

Attachments

• Severn Current inch scaled model v89.jpg
    Severn Current inch scaled model v89.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 23845754_10102445539972082_8848720749650620569_o (1).jpg
    23845754_10102445539972082_8848720749650620569_o (1).jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 0
Today was installing a Aloris AXA on my new mini-lathe.
Now I am home again never like the 4 way posts

Dave

20231213_142720.jpg
tool post.jpg

I got out of work early today (gotta burn vacation time or lose it), so I went down to the shop to make these:

Vise holddowns.jpg

Low profile vise hold-downs. Made from a piece of scrap square tubing, so I assume hot rolled steel. Something I've been meaning to make for a while, so this gets them off the list, and frees up a couple of toe clamps in the process.

I din't need snow blower. just a couple of minutes with a yard broom to clear the 1in. of snow (I exaggerate - maybe 3/4in?) that fell a couple of weeks ago. After 48 hours it rained and was gone in less than an hour.... We rarely get to use Toboggans here, except inland on th'hills..
K2

Nice looking “ what Evers” LOLI got out of work early today (gotta burn vacation time or lose it), so I went down to the shop to make these:

View attachment 152128

Low profile vise hold-downs. Made from a piece of scrap square tubing, so I assume hot rolled steel. Something I've been meaning to make for a while, so this gets them off the list, and frees up a couple of toe clamps in the process.

Eel I relearned an old lesson today you don’t drink hot coffee out of a straw. Yikes did I jump splattered coffee all over dropped the cup on the floor luckily not the carpet I YHINK I toasted my tongue and roof of mouth had a barely warm cup of soup for lunch . Tomorrow and Monday are the last big days of Christmas kids days and family days .

Had a (another) incidence of not being able to find things yesterday. The outside gripping jaws for my good three jaw now seem to be a man down. So I got the ancient Pratt 3 jaw out that came with the lathe and mounted that. There was sufficient wear that a bar 200mm long x 20 diameter could be waggled by hand at the end even when the 3 jaw was tightened a lot.
We decided, my son and I, that this had to be fixed. As you can see from the photo this involved a Machine Mart (Harbour Freight in USA I think?) Dremel wannabe and a bit of very rough toolpost bracket. The jaws were jammed open by some offcuts of 16mm stock between the jaws and the chuck was tightened down.
After the first gring appeared to have cleaned up, with sparks from the outside to somewhere in the chuck where I assumed the jaws ended, I took the setup down to reveal great disappointment. I'd ground the spacers but not the jaws. Next step was to mill a curve in the ends of the spacers with a 20mm endmill to give clearance. The spacers were held in place by small magnets as I tightened the chuck and the grinding started again.
After a couple of hours the chuck was ground and the runout is 0.03mm, which is about 0.001 inch.
This was worth the hassle as the chuck now seems to have a new lease of life.
ChuckGrind.jpg

And this morning the Proxxon long nosed grinder toy arrived from Santa Claus so if I need to do this again I can do it better and faster. Still can't find the chuck key for the newly ground chuck though.
If I cannot find a tool, I buy or make a replacement, usually just one or two days after the new thing is available, the missing item shows up. :)
Plus the more tools there are, the more often I cannot find the right tool for the job and have to improvise.
That all makes not much sense, maybe I should stop accumulating rubbish?

And this morning the Proxxon long nosed grinder toy arrived from Santa Claus so if I need to do this again I can do it better and faster. Still can't find the chuck key for the newly ground chuck though.
you might have a problem, however. If the chuck is as worn and used as you indicate, then regrinding will undoubtedly improve it. However, the problem is that the scroll may be worn in certain spots so that when you use it for one size (spacing the jaws), it may be good but a differnt spacing, it might be off a noticeable amount. This requires care to check it.

Hi Jonathan, I had a similar problem with an old chuck - that is mounted on my rotary table on the Mill/Drilling machine.
Having re-ground the jaws (the 3rd or 4th different set-up attempt to get a workable chuck!) I figured exactly what Richard explained. - My scroll is so worn I can't find the point where the jaws are anything like true... So this chuck will be relegated to holding round(-ish) stuff in the vice when required, when I make a suitable bracket (or modify the one I have that isn't very good) and get a decent chuck for the rotary table.
Just another job for '24...
K2

Hi Jonathan, I had a similar problem with an old chuck - that is mounted on my rotary table on the Mill/Drilling machine.
Having re-ground the jaws (the 3rd or 4th different set-up attempt to get a workable chuck!) I figured exactly what Richard explained. - My scroll is so worn I can't find the point where the jaws are anything like true... So this chuck will be relegated to holding round(-ish) stuff in the vice when required, when I make a suitable bracket (or modify the one I have that isn't very good) and get a decent chuck for the rotary table.
Just another job for '24...
K2
There is the possibility of taking the chuck apart and chedk the scroll. If there is a visible spot, one might try some repairs, after all if it is so bad that it becomes a paper weight, you might try brazing or scraping or maybe some other way to either fill it or smooth down some high spots.

Lazy day today, was warm and sunny now is cooler and raining, that's Victoria weather perfect one Minute and stuffed the next

Decided to turn some aluminium into swarf for no special reason using my small cnc lathe

Satisfying making something that doesn't need to to anything, just needs to sit on the shelf :)

1704170318871.jpeg

1704170371168.jpeg

Last edited:
Lazy day today, was warm and sunny now is cooler and raining, that's Victoria weather perfect one Minute and stuffed the next

Decided to turn some aluminium into swaf for no special reason using my small cnc lathe

Satisfying making something that doesn't need to to anything, just needs to sit on the shelf :)

View attachment 152667

View attachment 152668
Did you buy or built the lathe?

I have one of those lathes, but enjoy making with "the skill of my hands on the wheels...", so probably produce far less repeatable components than you do. But each to their own. Well done on the conversion and results!
Have you considered making a chess set? Perhaps using aluminium, and black Delron, or something? Then "the parts on the shelf" would be something to play with and challenge the brain afterwards? That would be a nice family heirloom.
When at school, a Woodwork teacher asked me to make 24 round door/drawer knobs for kitchen doors and drawers, to his design profile, using the metal lathe. I made 27 from the hardwood he supplied, and he selected 26 good ones... - rejecting the second one I made. A lesson in volume manufacturing repeatability!
K2

Latest posts

Back